What did YOU plant this year?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LinckHillPoultry, Jun 1, 2008.

1. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Well, I don't know about you guys, but I just got done planting over 100 funflowers. Whew, now my back hurts! [​IMG]

Soon I'll be planting some tomatos and beans.

Curious to know what you guys have been planting for your gardens!

2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Let see, I put in lots of flowers in the flower beds. I love flowers. We built raised beds this year and we planted potatoes, onions, sugar peas, tomatoes, carrots, green beans, purple beans and yellow beans, jalopene (sp) peppers, red hot chili peppers, bell peppers, okra, cucumbers, zucchini and yellow squash. I also planted early honeydew but don't think I will have much luck with it.

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    It amazes me that some people still havent put in some of their veggies, I had Peppers, Eggplants and Tomatoes in the ground in April! We have; 2 varieties of Eggplants, 8 or so different varieties of Peppers, 4 different varieties of squash and zucchini, Okra, 8-9 different varieties of Tomatoes, Swish Chard, Corn, 2 varieties of Pumpkins, 2 types of Winter Squash, assorted Gourds, lots of Beans, Cucumbers, 2 varieties of Watermelons and lots of flowers.

Here is a link to my garden : http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23228

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, check out the easygarden.com. There's a whole thread on what people are planting!

It amazes me that some people still havent put in some of their veggies, I had Peppers, Eggplants and Tomatoes in the ground in April! We have; 2 varieties of Eggplants, 8 or so different varieties of Peppers, 4 different varieties of squash and zucchini, Okra, 8-9 different varieties of Tomatoes, Swish Chard, Corn, 2 varieties of Pumpkins, 2 types of Winter Squash, assorted Gourds, lots of Beans, Cucumbers, 2 varieties of Watermelons and lots of flowers.

Well, you're lucky you live in a warm place! I just planted the tomatoes out and it's a toasty 52F outside and all white/grey skies. The sweetest corn doesn't grow here and if we were lucky, we'd get golf ball sized short season watermelons that would be frozen before the flower falls off! LOL

Summers always late... if it ever gets here, and winter is always early. Snow peas anyone?

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22407

5. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I kept it simple and distilled summer to it's purest essence: Corn, beans, tomatoes, watermelons. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    4 varities of hot peppers
    2 different types of beans
    zuchini
    cucumber
    winter squash
    peas
    lettuce
    carrots
    radishes
    onions
    pumpkins
    cilantro
    basil
    sunflowers (for my pheasant later on)

7. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Tomatoes & more tomatoes [​IMG]

Nothin beats a fresh from your garden tomatoe

lots of flowers, shrubs and plants

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Strawbale gardening the following:

Tomatoes - German Queen, Beefmaster, Better Boy
    Okra
    Yellow squash
    Cucumber
    Cantaloupe
    Watermelon

If I'm successful at this (my first try) then next year I will expand and do more!

9. k0xxx

k0xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    North Central Arkansas
    This year we've expanded our garden to approximately 30x55. We are working on making it about 50x75 for next year. That will be about our limit until I can afford a tractor.

We've planted:

Sweet corn
    Purple hull peas
    Snap beans
    Okra (2 varieties)
    Sweet peas
    Tomatos (3 varieties)
    Sweet peppers (3 varieties)
    Banana peppers
    Tabasco peppers
    Aconcagua Peppers
    Anaheim Peppers (did I mention that we likes peppers)
    Yellow squash
    Eggplant
    Carrots
    Onions
    Strawberries (in half barrel containers)
    Misc. herbs

10. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I've given up trying to grow veggies in the ground - the deer eat everything. So, this year I only planted tomatoes and peppers in self-watering containers on the deck. Those are my "must haves".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by