What did you use on your pop door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DreamsInPink, May 18, 2016.

1. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm planning on using a cable of some sort and run it along the ceiling in the coop and have it end in the storage area, so I don't have to go INTO the coop to raise and lower the door.

What would be the best thing to use? Thanks.

2. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    I'm at this point and wondering as well! Climbing into the coop to raise manually is becoming a bit less fun each day! Is cable flexible enough or would a cord be better?

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I use the line from the whipper snipper it is very heavy can fit through a small hole drilled in any wood if drilled on a bit of an angle it has little friction and slides easily in my case no need of pulleys. I have been using it for years. I will eventually snap after about 4 years in my case adjust it tie a not good for another 4 years. If you look close you can make it out on the right hand side of the metal shed.

Just a small hole through the top of the door on a down ward slope and you are good to go in my case.

I have the line tied to a small hinge that when it comes to rest lays flat. When the door is lifted from the outside by a predator the hings stops the rise against a cross member. When is it pulled by the line the hinge assumes a 90ยบ angle and clears the cross member.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  4. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    The hinge idea is brilliant!

1 person likes this.
  5. DreamsInPink

I'm trying to picture the hinge deal... I can't quite wrap my head around it.. :( And whipper snipper line.. I'm going to assume it's weed eater string/line? :confused:

6. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Try this...

[​IMG]

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

We just use the thin wire cable sold at most home supply stores....maybe 1/16"?? We ran the cable through small eyelet screws up the wall for the vertical lift and one or two horizontally to run the cable to the point where it goes through the wall to the outside (because our pop doors are tracked inside, not outside). You will have to buy a few little cable ties/clamps to "tie" the cable... We put a snap hook on the end and just hook that to another eyebolt to hold it open...

1 person likes this.
  8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. DreamsInPink

I bought picture hanging cable, but I don't know if I'm going to use it or not..

The video helped a lot. Sorry, I just couldn't figure out what you meant.. I tried to picture it. lol

10. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Be aware that hinge 'lock' will deter most predators but it's not much of a challenge to a savvy raccoon if they get some time to tinker...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by