what disease is associated with a "S" shaped mov't of neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7hensandaroo, Feb 10, 2014.

1. 7hensandaroo

7hensandaroo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    We found our chicken outside in the run lying still, lethargic, eyes kinda glazed over. It's been in the low teens here in Western NY.
    Brought her inside and noticed she has a classic S shaped movement of her neck. It comes and goes. She's not eating and drinking only when forced to by a dropper. I'd describe her poop but she hasn't pooped in the past 10 hours. She is 3 years old and just noticed the weird head movements when we found her this morning.

Rest of the flock look fine despite the frigid conditions. We have a red light in their coup to keep the water from freezing and take the bite out of the chill.

I've got Penicillin inj and Sulmet on hand.

Thanks so much for the help

UPDATE as of 9am Tuesday My Buff is looking much better. She finally pooped but was mostly clear water and some white in it. Going to irrigate the crop today, and get some anti-fungal in her

Thursday morning UPDATE... Our Hen died last night. She asperated her own vomit back into her lungs and died.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Does she have food in her crop? Have you check for obstructions in her esophagus?

-Kathy

3. 7hensandaroo

Jul 27, 2011
    thanks. Her crop looks to be the same size as the other hens. I can't see anything obstructing her esophagus.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Have you picked her up and given her an exam?

-Kathy

5. 7hensandaroo

Jul 27, 2011
    An exam as best I know how. She looks good all around. Her vent is clean and I don't see any bugs of any kind on her. She feels a bit skinny. Her comb was purplish looking when I brought her in but is looking nice and red again once warmed up. Feet look normal. I can feel her crop, it feels not quite the size of a lemon and it is pliable not hard, a bit squishy.

6. 7hensandaroo

Jul 27, 2011
    no discharge, cough or sneezing. I can see her breathing but it's not labored at all. She is very quiet and won't move.

7. 7hensandaroo

Jul 27, 2011
    What the best way to check if something is stuck in her esophagus?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You should be able to use you fingers and feel down the side of her neck. If nothing is there and there is food in her crop, I suspect she is trying to adjust her crop, but a purple comb is a bad sign. If her crop isn't empty in the morning you'll have to figure that out. I sick bird should be kept in a room 80-85 degrees and needs to be properly hydrated, which means giving her about 30ml/kg fluids every 6-8 hours, that 30ml per 2.2 pounds. Best way to do that is with a tube. It sounds like she is *very* sick and I would treat this like it's life threatening.

-Kathy

9. 7hensandaroo

Jul 27, 2011
    Thanks. What kind/size of tube and how far do I go down?

I will reevaluate in the morning and update.

Thanks so much.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by