What diseases do pigeons carry?

4life

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2016
Hi everyone.

I posted earlier about a city pigeon I captured earlier today. She came here yesterday and she was not acting quite right. Well today she came again and was still acting odd, kind of walking slowly and staying by herself. We feed our birds so we get a few birds here and a few pigeons too. I am guessing she has probably been coming here to eat for a while now but something has happened to her. We did have a huge wind storm here in Chicago a couple days ago. I wonder if she got hurt or something. Anyhow, I laid some seed out on the back porch for her this afternoon and she did eat some along with three other pigeons who were eating it too. Well this male all of a sudden jumped on her( probably trying to mate with her). Well he did not help matters and she was walking even slower then. I shooed him away from her. I then got her and brought her inside. I have her in a small dog cage with food and water placed inside for her.

I have been trying to figure out what to do with her. I do not really know much about birds or how to care for them. Someone mentioned something to me about city pigeons carrying all kinds of disease. Is this true?? Am I safe keeping her in my home? I mean I put gloves on when I handled her to put her in the cage. Someone said they carry mites and parasites. I have to be careful because I have chronic health issues myself. Do they carry dangerous diseases people can catch or is that a myth? Sorry, I just do not know much about pigeons. I am a huge animal lover though and hate to see any animal in distress. I have the cage lined with puppy training pads to catch any poops. I will have to change them out and am worried now with hearing she may carry diseases. Should I be worried about this? I have no clue what to do here. I am scared to handle her too much.

Just care for her as best you can. There are heartless rich people in cities who don't like to pay employees to clean up bird poop, so they'd sooner rid the world of birds if they can, so they often poison them due to economy of thought. The populations bounce back after a short time. There are other ways to alter architecture so birds can't sit. There is a business catering to the business people in regards to ridding the skies of birds. The disease hysteria is mostly marketing and trying to defend what they are doing. Killing a few birds won't stop the clipboard guy doing his job of spreading deadly disease.
https://yandex.ru/search/?text=clipboard guy tarmac patient

You are more likely to strengthen your immune system by having a pet or caring for this pigeon.

https://yandex.ru/search/?text=asthma children who grow up poultry

Just go with what your heart tells you, you will be happier, healthier, and a better person for it.

You won't be catching anything from the pigeon.

Pigeons get a really bad rap, they are actually very clean animals. They don’t carry any diseases that can be transferred to humans. Pigeons actually love to bathe, they only ever look dirty because they are forced to bathe in grimy city water. And I 100% agree with @GodofPecking. You will strengthen your own immune system keeping the pigeon!

Back
Top Bottom