What diseases etc can humans/dogs/cats/horses/cattle get from chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by healthyasdotme, Nov 11, 2011.

1. healthyasdotme

healthyasdotme Out Of The Brooder

Eeek [​IMG] I started going through this topic to find out what has happened to my friends chick's eye and got quite stressed at some of the diseases etc there are. Can any of these pass to humans/dogs/cats/horses/cattle? If so what are they and how do you prevent them...
    Thanks, one stressed chook mummy [​IMG]

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    I was so just thinking of asking this same question - what diseases can be shared between species? We have chickens, cats, horses, dogs and are looking to add cows to the mix. I figured lots of folks on BYC are in the same boat. Can't wait to see the answers.

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
  4. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Well, you can start with lice. B^)

Poultry litter and plate waste fed to poultry can spread Mad Cow disease if ruminants gain access.

According to the Penn State U veterinary school, few poultry diseases spread to people.

Infectious diseases of poultry species that can directly infect humans are chlamydiosis, Newcastle
    disease, erysipelas, and avian tuberculosis. (In very recent years, certain strains of highly
    pathogenic avian influenza have directly infected and caused deaths in a few people in Asia and
    Europe, but this problem has never been documented in North America.) Of these,
    CHLAMYDIOSIS (also called psittacosis or parrot fever) is the most serious. It is caused by the
    bacteria Chlamydia psittaci. Pet bird species (psittacines) are much more likely to be infected with
    the organism and pass it on to their owners and handlers than are most other avian species. These
    comprise the bulk of human exposure cases of chlamydiosis. Wild bird reservoirs of C. psittaci
    include sea gulls, ducks, herons, egrets, and pigeons. Of domestic poultry, turkeys are the most
    common species known to be productively infected. Very few confirmed chicken cases have ever
    been cited. Minor species such as ducks, pheasants and pigeons have been reported to have disease
    problems related to infection with C. psittaci.

Other possibilities include anthrax and West Nile virus.

5. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    Gotta-Get-More-Chickens-itis

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've gotten campylobacter from my dogs eating chicken poo + kissing me on the mouth [​IMG]

Yeah.. 3 months of recovery and 1 week in the hospital (in isolation no less!)

Just don't let your dogs eat the poo.. [​IMG]

7. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Quote:EEEKKKK, what story did you tell them at the hospital [​IMG]

No one has mentioned round worms and all the worms that can infect humans.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:No, just don't let your dogs kiss you on the mouth. [​IMG]
    Their tounges can reach all of their body parts. Just sayin'.

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:You can get this from raw chicken from the grocery store, cat & dog feces, and other ways as well.

You'll be fine healthyasdotme.

Wash your hands after handling your chickens. Don't put your face on them. Use common sense and keep things neat and clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by