What diseases make the meat inedible?

Whitey_87

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
I noticed a McFatty that went down on it's legs this morning. It definitely will not get up so I gave it it's own food and water until I can butcher it after work today - if it makes it through the heat.

I believe that my meaties have cocci. I remember reading that it is still ok to eat the meat since cocci stays in the intestines. Is that true?

I was wondering what diseases / problems that I can identify during butchering that would tell me that I should not eat the meat?

Thanks all,

Whitey

Most common diseases in poultry will not harm you if you eat it after it is well cooked.

I prescribe to the belief that if the animal or poultry looks sick it gets feed to the cats and dogs after boiling for 40 minutes. This may be overkill but to error on the safe side is best.

The only one that I know of is CRD and it's a Chronic Resp Disease. Doesn't affect the meat. I would say that if they have any type of infection, I wouldn't eat them.

When a bird goes down on its legs why does it not want to eat or drink? Or are two symptoms occuring at the same time...its legs gave out and something is making it not want to eat?

When I am butchering (first time) what organs do I look at for infection that would indicate that I should not consume the bird?

Thanks,
Whitey

If legs are just giving out due to weight, or if they have some cocci in them, they are fine to eat. Cook well and only eat stuff you have killed and are otherwise healthy. Don't eat a bird with wild animal bits and is dying becuase of infection, but you can sure eat a bird which broke it's leg.

Usually, if the liver is a solid red-pink, the bird is fine.

Back
Top Bottom