What disinfectant to use in Brooder...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kiaya611, Apr 25, 2007.

1. kiaya611

kiaya611 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    I have a (to be) multi species brooder and I would like to know what disinfectant that you all recommend to use. I have had chickens in a divided unit before and now I will be having turkeys in one side and peafowl in the other side.

I thought about diluted bleach water, but I wasn't sure if that would kill everything that needed to be killed and still be safe for the new fowl that will be going into the brooder. BTW, it is made of painted wood and wire.

Your help is appreciated.

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    A solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water is fine. That is what my tester uses to clean his boots and equipment when he lives our proterty.

Just let it air out a little before you put birds in.

3. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    In a gallon of water, add 1 cup white household vinegar, mix, then add 1 cup bleach.
    Vinegar decreases the ph of the water making the bleach more effective.
    WARNING: DO NOT MIX BLEACH AND VINEGAR TOGETHER!!! WILL MAKE DEADLY NOXIOUS FUMES. DILUTE ONE IN THE WATER FIRST, MIX, THEN ADD THE OTHER.

article here : http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-02/asfm-vik021306.php

Aloha,
    Cory

4. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    A vinegar and water mix will do just fine. You don't have to include bleach. For that matter, you can use straight vinegar if you want. You can follow by wiping down with a rag dampened with Hydrogen Peroxide. Whatever you use, rinse it well.

1 person likes this.
  5. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    When you are all done with the washing and rinsing, leave the brooder in direct sunlight for a few hours. UV light is very deadly to a huge number of pathogens, even those that are resistant to bleach, and the direct sunlight and drying will prevent mold.

-MTchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by