What do Barred Rock/ISA Brown mixes look like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tegaily, Jan 6, 2014.

1. tegaily

tegaily Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I have a Barred Rock roo and some ISA Brown hens. I was wondering what their chicks will look like as babies and adults. Also have a Buff Orp hen and wondered what their mix would look like?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    The buff orp x barred rock would result in an adult chicken wit buff barring

3. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Aprox. 50% will be black/white under bellies and the other 50% will be white(yellow)

the black ones will be black barred at juvie plumage coming in, the whites will be white with black or red leakage(random specks)throughout body plumage

the barred x Buff will be all black chicks with white under bellies all will be black barred in juvie plumage.

Jeff

4. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Barred male is dominant color/pattern here he will give all offspring one copy of barring therefore all will be black barred(heterozygous)

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  5. tegaily

tegaily Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Any photos? will they be different looking from Barred to Barred chicks as I will have some of those as well. Just want to know if I will be able to tell the difference between the pure and mixes

6. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    The black barred and reg barreds will look relatively the same at hatch.

Jeff

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:as babies? 50% of chicks will hatch with black down(cream underbelly) with a cream headdot.. 50% will hatch all yellow... as adults? all of the black down males with headspots will grow out looking like the Black Sexlink roosters(barred with lots of cream/yellow golden color leaking, they usually look like barred birchen or barred golden birchen) all of the white down males will grow out to be nearly all white with the plyle sones(hackle, saddel, shoulders) be of a lemon color and dome black showing on tail feathers... all of the black down females will look just like Sexlink Pullets except showing Silver instead of gold and barred.. all of the whie down females will look all white with some black feathers here and there... this is how a black sexlink rooster looks like(yours will look about the same as in color)
    Quote:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  8. ErniesFlock

ErniesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

No sexlink to this matching though I assume or someone would have said something... I have a few of this cross about to hatch I put them in for an experiment. I am trying to see what other genes are underneath the ISA Browns apart from the obvious. Great looking roo by the way!

9. ErniesFlock

ErniesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by