What do blue, splash, mottled or black cochins look like as chicks?

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I am not familiar with these colours and I have just hatched a lovely batch of cochins. Some of them are pitch black with tiny white bits , others are black with white wing tips, white bellies and white on the face (look like spectacles almost) and some are a light bluish colour with white as well. Cochins just melt my heart they are SO CUTE! Those fuzzy feet and butts!!! What are the adult versions of these going to look like, sorry still working on the pics! Will get some on asap...

Hi! Congrats on your new chicks!
These are mottled Cochin chicks (except the one on the far right turned out to be a cross).

303409970.jpg

smile.png

Lisa

Here are some of the colours in my cochins. I want to know what they will look like as adults. These are NOT good pics but should give an idea of the basic colours - of course the heat lamp doesn't help my poor cell phone get nice shots. I will try again with another camera but I won't get those pics back for about a week....

of=50,590,442

of=50,590,442

of=50,590,442

of=50,590,442

of=50,590,442

I know this thread is several years old, but I'm hoping that maybe one of you can help me.
I received an assortment of chicks from Meyer hatchery - among them are a bunch of little yellow and black chicks all with feathered legs.
All were from the June 3rd hatch.
6 look like the top photo - all 6 are tiny, they have really fine fuzz on their feet, they are still more fuzz than feathers, and they have little white wings
6 look like the middle photo - all 6 are larger and more developed. They have really big feathers on their feet and a cluster of black feathers facing behind them, their wing feathers are growing in
2 look like the bottom photo - fine feathering on their legs, these are starting to grow a tuft / crest on the top of their head (it's more pronounced every day)

Questions:
Are the top two photos the same bird species male & female?
Are the top Mottled Cochin?
Could the middle be a Mottled D'Uccle? MilleFleur?
What the heck is the bottom bird? I'd say Houdan, but these have feathered feet...
Any help appreciated.
thanks!

Last edited:

Can anyone tell me what colors I might have here?
I just got them yesterday, they are 3 days old.
I think I have a blue or blue splash and a molted possibly? I looked at he cochin chick color chat but still would like help. I just can't tell. The molted also looks like one of the penciled laced chicks? Thanks for advice!

Back
Top Bottom