What do duck look like when they molt?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sheila3935, Jun 5, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have Khaki Campbell that turned a year old in March. She started laying in October and hasnt miss a day until now. The past few days no eggs. A week or so ago her feathers were looking pretty rough but not like falling out. She just kinda looked ragged. Now she is changing color getting a lot more white on her and not as dark as she used to be. Otherwise she acts fine eating drinking swimming pooping fine. Is she going through a molt and thats why she is not laying and changing color?

2. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Hellooo
    They look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Its strange I havent really seen much feathers. But she is changing color and hasnt laid for 3 days. She doesnt act sick. Not sure what is going on.

4. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    My ducks quit laying during the moult and they were kind of grumpy too. I'm not an expert but if she is eating and pooping fine then she is probably ok. Maybe you could check for feather mite? And if you see any, give her a powdering? Sorry I'm not much help, I only have four ducks and am fairly new to it all [​IMG]

5. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    When my four went through the moult it looked like someone had had a pillow fight in the garden there were so many feathers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by