1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do ducks think of us as?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Finny, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I have been wondering this for a while. By us I mean the owners. Do the ducks think of us as part of the flock, parent figures, care takers? Any thoughts?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I feel like I have a role within the flock. But it's not exactly drake or parent. Parents seem to become irrelevant and just become fellow flock members. I am some kind of leader. There are other leaders in the flock. They know that I am not around all the time, so someone else has to have a protective guiding role. They share that role, I think.

I reckon they know I look really odd. They don't seem to mind. Zehn once tried to eat one of the two caterpillars off my face (guess what we would call them).

3. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    LOL my ducks are very fascinated with my hair :)

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Object who brings water and food ...

Because i run a lot of drakes they likely think i am some really unusual species that is huge! lol Now my calls, the oldest pair.. well those were basically hand raised, lived in house and swam in my bathtub(we did daily tubbies) so they are probably the most attached to me as perhaps a duck..

I had two premature scovies that i raised with some buffs i had bought in my house, the one is always coming up to me.. the other have now since stepped back and are not friendly anymore(which is okay, that is really how i run my flock.. can be handled if needed but not in my pocket)

6. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Mine follow me around so do they think of me as a leader or do they just like me?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Both I am thinking .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by