what do egg producers do with roos

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jk47, Dec 21, 2014.

1. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    I know the even the pros are only 90% accurate with sexing so some roos must get mixed in the batchs going to the layer houses so do the have people go through the houses to grap any roos when they start crowing or what and do they destroy the roos or salvage them for packaged chicken products

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    In they case of White Leghorns, which are the primary laying house breeds for white eggs, the roosters are slaughtered for processed chicken products as soon as their sex is discovered. For their brown egg layers, laying houses usually use sex link hens. Not only are they the best brown egg layers in the chicken world, the hatcheries can guarantee 100 % accuracy on gender since they are auto-sex hybrids that can be sexed by color at hatching. Of course the male chicks that hatch are ground up by the hatcheries and used in processed chicken products.

3. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    Now what I wonder is why they haven't bred a sexlink thst lays white eggs is it because the white breeds dont have the right stuff for it or is it because so much research has been done on the leghorn

4. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's because there is no white egg laying sex link combination that will have enough lay rate for the laying houses. White Leghorns can't be used in producing sex link offspring.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. I could easily hatch white egg laying sex links in my backyard, but they're not going to lay what a production white Leghorn lays.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Any male chicks typically go to a rendering plant. I imagine it is the same for older Roos as well. However, you can usually tell the sex at about two weeks in the production sex links.

I think very soon we will be able to sex in the eggs. There is now a method that is close to being ready that uses lasers. Cool stuff!

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You can tell the sex at hatching with the sex links. Red Sex Link male chicks are whitish and female chicks are reddish. Male Black Sex Link chicks are black with white spots on the tops of their heads and female chicks are solid black.

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oops, meant to write production leghorns. Those can only be sexed via vent sexing, but the comb on roosters is visible early on.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    MANY a leghorn cockerel was served as a fryer to my family as I was growing up. One of my Mom's favorite sayings, "Waste not - want not."

10. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The laying houses don't want to invest the cost of the feed into the male Leghorns to get them to fryer size, particularly since Leghorn roosters don't come anywhere close to the feed to meat conversion rate that Cornish cross do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by