What do factory farm hens eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mountain Peeps, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Hello!

I'm doing a science project and I need to find out what factory farm hens eat or more importantly what Grade A hens eat? I would really appreciate an answer asap!

Thanks!

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Not shore what they eat exactly (not shore if i want to know [​IMG] ) but Probably some kind of generic cheap tasteless chicken ration. wouldn't be surprised if It contains chicken waste or even dead chickens, not to mention all the hormones and chemicals they have to feed those poor hens to keep them alive.

3. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    Most companies are going to use basic ration of the same select grain products.Hormones are not allowed for use in any chickens products.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Oh please. Simply fiction. Completely incorrect on many counts. No hormones are allowed in chicken feed in the US. End of story.

They are fed a ration prepared to meet all their nutritional needs. Agri farming is a business and the highest possible production is sought. That ration is not insignificantly different than the the same rations backyarders buy in small quantifies at their local feed stores. There are plenty of reasons to perhaps dislike large, commercial operations but there no need to fabricate nonsense.

2 people like this.
  5. mymilliefleur

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Yea, but it still happens. especially in Chinese chicken.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Thank you so much!! The egg companies I looked into really do feed their hens well

7. mymilliefleur

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know for sure, but common sense says they get something pretty much like Layena, or any other layer feed. Lower protein, higher calcium, I think it's pretty much what most backyarders feed their layers. I'm thinking layer feed was developed for the large operations, not the backyarder.

1 person likes this.
  9. glib

glib Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2007
    They eat corn, soybeans, fish meal and/or meat renderings, kelp and/or alfalfa, and some mineral/vitamin integrator which depends whether they are meat or egg birds. These days, also probiotics. In the future, also black soldier fly meal, since industrial production of the stuff has started. It is not a bad diet, but there is nothing fresh, no exercise, and no sunlight. Their metabolism is weak, and possibly they store more toxins into their fat due to weaker liver function or weaker gut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by