1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what do hatcheries do to the eggs that hatch late

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by austinhart123, Nov 15, 2008.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i was watching a video and they pulled out the tray of eggs out to take the chicks out and theyre are eggs in the middle of hatching. what do they do they do to those eggs?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Like Meyers, they would sell them as specials and the rest of them, I am guessing they would kill them or give them away. Sometimes we never know the real information behind those doors.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I don't think we want to know.

Time to get a bator...

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I wish I can fire up my bator [​IMG] but not until Jan or Feb tho! I hate to pay for energy bills that Ameren can profit off from me LOL

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Most have a Chick Eliminator and Shell Crusher which then the waste is used as fertilizer. Very sad, but something has to be done with all the extras and extra roos. I know some Egg layer hatcheries, the males just go into trash bags as they are sorted or into the grinder. poor things, they hatch and then die. What a life! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I think Dirty Jobs have that part as well......All depends on the laws of supply and demand on pullets vs roos.

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    oh thats soo sad, but thanks for being honest with me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by