What do hatching eggs look like?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jujubear, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jujubear

jujubear Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I have seen different things in my Muscovy eggs when I candle them at the end of their term.

1. Some are all dark, like black inside.
    2. Some are dark but have a clear (air bubble) end.
    3. Some have red veins and whatever is formed in there is not big. It's mostly light with a dark form maybe half the size of the egg.
    4. Some have odd shaped blotches of darkness.

Would anyone please care to guess, or have knowledge of what is going on with these eggs.

I am inbreeding so I don't expect them to all hatch.

I read on here that the babies will put their heads in the air sack before hatching. Is that correct? If so would an all black egg indicate that it has already gotten to that stage and is now probably dead because it was unable to get out of the egg?

Lord Bless,
    Julie

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    The ones that are all dark, even the ones that are dark with the air bubble, I would give a chance at life. When it get late in the term, you may or may not be able to see the growth. The bird may have taken up too much space in the egg and all you can see is the darkness. If it doesn't hatch out after 3 days past due, throw them away.
    The ones with black blotches, may have started out alive, but something went wrong or else they never were fertile and the yolk broke up and you should get rid of them before they explode.
    The ones with spider veins sound good, but if its late in the term, I am confused. You should see more than veins. You should see a baby, with movement. But watch it and see what happens.
    I find it hard to incubate duck eggs. I always use a broody for as much of the work as I can. But I don't do well mixing hen/duckling to the flock. The chickens seem to reject the combination. You might have good luck with it. Keep track of how well you did and remember that duck eggs need a lot of turning and moisture.

3. jujubear

jujubear Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Thank you for all of the information rhoda_bruce.

These eggs are under their Mom. I'm not incubating them.

Lord Bless,
    Julie

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by