what do hatching eggs normally cost?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spish, Dec 29, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ive been quoted £30 for 24 eggs +£20 postage to be added (so £50 total) just wondering is that the norm or am i getting a bargin/being ripped off?? its for 6 x RIR eggs, 6 x light sussex, 6 x white silkie and 6 x lavender leghorns coming from the uk to Belgium.....

2. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i think after just reading the bad hatch rate for shipped eggs thread that i might just give it a miss!

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It depends on the quality of the parent stock and the seller. Shipping here in the US is based on weight of the box and distance. So, the heavier the box and the farther it has to go, the more it will cost.

30 Pounds = $46.19 USD for the eggs
    20 Pounds = $30.79 for the shipping

The egg prices seem correct for that number of eggs. I'm not sure of the prices of shipping in your area to give an opinion on the shipping cost. Here in the US, shipping would be about $15 USD (9.74 Pounds) for that amount of eggs.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If you ask me that is WAY too expensive, and I would try to find hatching eggs closer to home. Those breeds are pretty standard except the silkies, and unless they are from SQ parents, I would not pay that much!

5. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Quote:Standard here and Standard in Belgium might not be the same thing. Still, those prices do seem a bit high for just adverage barn yard stock. Unless the breeds you listed are indeed rare, show stock, or just plain hard to get in Belgium, I think I would look for another seller.

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    the eggs are coming from the uk over to belgium, i asked the seller which courier he is using and he's just replied 'royal mail' so in other words they're gonna be stuck in the standard post for maybe 7 days! i dont think any will hatch. the only chickens i couldnt get here are the lavander leghorns so i think im gonna give it a miss. they are from his backyard flocks and of no special parentage so yeah now that you mention it it does seem awfully expensive

many thanks for the replies [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Wise choice. Try to find someone closer to you that sells hatching eggs. There HAS to be someone!!!!

8. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Quote:Is it that easy to ship eggs to different countries in europe? Here you cant import eggs or live birds without jumping thru a bunch of red tape. I expected it to be pretty much the same in other countries as well due to the birdflu epidemics. This also makes me wonder if we can ship eggs out of the US, (legally of course), without going thru the same red tape we would go thru to import eggs. Anbody have an answer?

9. 5acrehome

5acrehome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    I would not pay 50 quid for 24 eggs that is bonkers! Find a local farm and ask them for eggs that have been exposed to a Roo. 4 quid a dozen unless your looking for a special breed for show purposes. Chicken is chicken when it's has no feathers and a egg looks the same once in the pan. My thoughts from the US, 50 quid would buy you 7 full grow layers here.

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:That depends on what they are looking for.... barnyard birds for meat and egg production or quality stock to breed and/or show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by