what do i charge for my barnyard mixes?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ForTheLoveofHEN, Jun 20, 2016.

1. ForTheLoveofHEN

ForTheLoveofHEN Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2016
    Lake Elsinore CA
    Hi so i am new to this site and i rescue chickens and other small farm animals and rehome them for a small fee, but lately that fee has not been enough to cover my cost and help keep my birds (and goats, pigs, ect...) healthy so i am thinking about incubating some eggs and selling them. they would be mixed and i have everything form road island reds to silkies in my flock. what should i charge for them? is it even worth the cost of incubation electricity/ i just need a little help with the cost of healing up my birds and i manage to run my operation pretty cheap with my fermented feed and my home made coops but i cant skimp on things like antibiotics and the things i have to buy for surgeries for my birds.

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Hi there
    It is very hard and rare you will make any profit with hens.
    I breed show poultry but I make very little profit and I hatch
    70+chicks a year
    I wouldent hatch barnyard mixes but some people like them
    As they all look different.
    A good price for them would be around $10
    Goodluck

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Would you be selling them as babies or as young adults? Are they egg birds, meat birds or dual purpose?. If sold as peeps if you can't sex them you would need to sell straight run which would eliminate the buyers who can have only hens. If keeping until you can sex them, what will you do with the extra cockerels assuming they are egg layers only?
    I don't see your location and prices vary in different areas. You might get $10.00 for a pullet at POL, but you would probably be stuck with the cockerels. And they would have already eaten that much in food.
    For unsexed day old peeps you would be lucky to get $2.00 each. Hatcheries and feed stores sell sexed pullets of the better egg laying breeds for under $3.00.
    Some hatcheries have leghorns and sex links in the 2.45 range, so with mixes unless something like olive eggers, you probably can't compete with them.
    If you have an incubator you might be able to do custom hatches for people. They supply the eggs of whatever breed they want (unless you can get them more easily.) and you would charge to hatch them.
    You might want to consider charging up front because if the hatch isn't to their liking (wrong sexes hatch in sex links, poor hatch, etc.) they might walk away from it.

5. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    I forgot to add in my info
    I would charge $10 for pullet

6. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Hey ForTheLoveOfHEN! Since you already have people that answered your question I wanted to welcome you to our roost! Feel free to wonder the forums and ask as many questions as you wish, and just have fun. Learn from others, pass that learning to others and you will fir in just fine here! I wish you and your flock the best of luck. I agree with ChickenGrass for 10$ a pullet.
    Justin [​IMG]

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

First let me say, thanks for caring enough to do rescues!

I actually agree with @dekel18042 . I just paid $5 each for Swedish Flower chicks from a breeder who got their stock from Green Fire Farms. From another breeder locally, I paid $7 each for Lavender Americauna who got their stock from John Blehm. Both of those are rare breeds with good blood lines. And I paid $3.50 each for some pure Silkies. Our LFS charges $3.50 each for their chicks. There is less interest in barnyard mixes especially added they are straight run with no guarantee of laying ability, friendliness, or carcass size.

I have narrowed down that my power costs me $0.18 per 1000 watts. So you could figure out what your actual cost is for incubating. For me, my time is the most valuable commodity I have.

And then you still have to deal with the people. Lots of flakes and weirdos if you are using Craigslist. I think it's a great ideal with a bad reality.

Lastly, what will you do with the ones you can't sell? You don't wanna end up feeding more mouths, I'm guessing.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Welcome Welcome Welcome.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by