What do I do about crowd - plus night during hatching lights on or off

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cackle, Apr 9, 2009.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    First hatch in a Brinsea ECO 20 so 5 of 24 eggs have hatched. And it seems pretty crowded in there. Have 2 more pips so we are coming right along. It does not seem possible that there will be room if say 16-24 hatch.

Susan

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I have my first hatch in my new Brinsea too, due to hatch next week. I will be very interested to see how it goes for you.
    Do you have any pics of the chicks in the incubator?
    what are you hatching?
    Tell all the details please...
    what humidity are you at, how did you bring it up in the Eco.
    did you use the bars and then take them out for hatch or did you hand turn through it all?
    did you candle? did you toss any eggs? how many in there for hatch?

I've been wondering the same thing, it seems very cramped in there with just eggs!

3. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Mediazeal,

Could not take a picture I tried but it just flashed back at me.

We did exactly like the instructions and on day 18 took the incubator off the turner and put water in both trays.

Bars were in until the 18th day. As crowded as it is I am glad I took them out.

I tired to candle but had no idea what I was looking for. Thought at 7 days I saw life in the ones I was candling so I went by the if it doesn't stink rule.

There are now 8 up and around and it really is crowded.

for this hatch I put my own eggs in. I tried to pick out the eggs I thought were BR/RIR so I would have black sex links so far of the 8 two are RIR. I can tell I have two BSL males but can't really see the ones that hatched while we were at dinner. I also have 4 silkie eggs in the bator. One looks like it is zipping.

I have another question that I would love someone to answer. Do I leave the light on tonight while they are hatching or do I turn them off when we go to bed.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  4. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I would say turn the lights off. Momma hen doesn't leave the light on. [​IMG]

5. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Very true. I will turn them off and we can all go to bed. But I will check on them periodically through the night I am sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by