What do I do about my agressive rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aly, Sep 24, 2010.

1. aly

aly New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    We have 12 chickens, three are roosters. Only one of the roosters are agressive and the kids are afraid to go anywhere near it. It had "attacked" my youngest sister a month or so ago and now she is terrified. My idea, which seems to work well, is to walk into the back yard with a stick. This seems to keep he rooster from coming at me. Are there any other ways to keep the rooster from running at people to attack them? What are some good tips/ideas that we can use so the rooster isn't running after and attacking people?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Put him in the crockpot & he attacks no more!

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Do a search on aggressive roosters on here. There is lots of really good advice on how to deal with an agressive rooster.

I think Yazzo is who started a thread on roosters.

I had 29 chickens....down to 15.....and STILL have three roo's. This week I have to do something. First I am going out there and dividing up the run and putting the two BR's in it. It has been so much calmer in the run without all the roo's. Trust me....it will start up if there are too many roo's!

Read as much as you can and then decide what you need to do.....you will thin out too many.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  4. aly

aly New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    aww lol i couldn't do that!!!!!

ok, will do.

THANK YOU:D

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The meaner the roo, the better the stew! [​IMG]

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:All roosters are different. I can tell you that most of the ones I've kept long-term were not friendly in the slightest. I've had bad luck. I've also tried a number of things to deter attacks. None of them really worked. I would NEVER get physical with a rooster. They don't understand that bigger things have the ability to hurt them. In chicken language, any violence is an excuse to attack with more violence. And humans have the ability to cause some major damage.

I've been really attached to these roosters but in the end, common sense hit. It was stupid to give these birds a wonderful home if this was how I would be repaid. Now I have worthy, friendly roosters, and I much prefer them.

If I were you, I'd get rid of him. If you honestly need another rooster, it's trial and error. Some are good, others are not. Personally, I'd never keep a rooster that goes after kids. I had one that went after my little bro when he was about 5. Needless to say, that particular rooster was never given the opportunity to bully my brother ever again.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Also, your ratio is a little off. Usually, 1 rooster per every 9-10 hens is a good ratio. I'm not saying its an excuse for any rooster to attack their owners, but it can certainly cause one to get cranky.

8. angelique_redhead

angelique_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    I have enough roosters that if I have one that's being aggressive one that's pleasant is given his spot. The only one that is even mildly aggressive has been convinced that I'm more A. Dominant B. Dangerous than he is. He's learned he's not Dominant to my daughter either. [​IMG] [​IMG]: Angelique

9. Adorkable

Adorkable Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Have the victims of Mister Grumpy Pants rooster pick him up and pluck out a couple of feathers from his back... that should show him that they are above him in the pecking order! [​IMG]

10. aly

aly New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    Quote:when we first got them as chicks we were told they were all hens, or should have been hens. but obviously thats not how it worked out..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by