1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do I do about my ONE tiny bantam?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by luvmychicknkids, Nov 23, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have 6 chickies who are almost 4 months old. I hatched from two separate shipments. The BLRW eggs did good....I got 4 babies out of 6. The other box was treated horribly in the mail and I ended up with one EE and one BTWJ. Oopsy. The BTWJ, Kawaii, is TINY!!!! I never planned on one lone bantam. The other chickens are horrible to her. My BLRW roo actually tried to mate with her the other day when I tried, once again, to put her with them.....I was terrified he was going to kill her.

Anyway, the only chicken who treats her alright is the EE, Dexter. She actually seems to love her. I have them together in, what I call the "big kid brooder", inside the coop. I feel bad keeping Dexter locked up with her but Kawaii gets so depressed when she is there alone. [​IMG] Every night she crawls under Dexter to sleep and Dexter actually seems to enjoy mothering her......even though they hatched the same day.

I just don't know what to do. She can't live alone forever and I can't keep Dexter locked up forever either. How do I get the other chickens to be nice to her? Or can I? I am thinking in the Spring I will get a few more Bantam buddies for her and build them a separate area.....but I never really wanted that. Is that my only choice?

Thanks

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I had the same problem for a while but than that little baby died [​IMG] I don't know if it was just that lonely or if it was ill. We never wanted a separate coop either but now were making one [​IMG] I think it was my way to get MORE chickens [​IMG] And it worked [​IMG]

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Sorry your baby died. [​IMG] That is one reason I keep Dexter with her....I am terrified she couldn't handle being THAT alone.

Well, I am supposed to get Silkies for my oldest son.....I guess they will probably make good friends for her and, you are right, it is certainly a way to excuse having more chickens. [​IMG] You can't have a practically empty coop!!! [​IMG]

4. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I know that standards and bantams can live together successfully when they are older. My barn owner has a mix of over 50 chickens, various breeds and sizes. Both hens and roos. The banties have figured out who to avoid and who0 is "safe" I am hoping it goes as well with the ones we plan on getting come spring. If not we will build a small dog house sized coop for them.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My tiny self blue Cochin banty, Shadow, is my only banty in a layer flock of 46 birds or so. She does fine. Little diva wont go in the door at night. She waits for my husband to carry her in the human door with him, like Cleopatra on her barge, LOL. So far, the standard BR roos haven't noticed her that way. Maybe they think she's a chick still, but if she squats instinctively, I'm sure one will notice that! She's over 25 weeks old now.

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I was pretty sure plenty of people had bantams mixed with standards......that is one reason I felt alright trying to hatch some, I just assumed they would do alright together. I started thinking more about it last night and I am really not sure they treat her any worse than any chicken being mixed in. I think it is more a matter of me being afraid they will hurt her because she is so tiny. They peck anyone that isn't used to being with them. So, really, the only problem may be Hansel trying to mate her. Not only is she tiny, he is HUGE! I know that the number of hens he has is less than he needs....I have 5 girls with him and I suppose he needs about 10, right? So, maybe getting him some more hens this Spring will work out better.

LOL.....Shadow sounds precious!!!! Sounds like she has your husband quite well trained, too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  7. speckledhen

I keep telling DH that his spoiled little princess of a chicken needs her own pint-sized rooster and he needs to build a banty love shack, but so far, he just ignores me and dotes on that little manipulator. Heck, she loves him and bites me half the time I reach for her. And if he pets the girls who roost beside her, she reaches over and bites him, too! Jealous little diva!

8. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I think that eventually they will co-habitate nicely together. i have a nice flock of birds at the shelter that I work at that is a crazy assortment of bantams and large. I think you are fine keeping her with Dexter if Dexter is doing good with her. keep them together until the little one is mature enough to hold her own. good luck, those little ones are so very' cute!!

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh, speckledhen, you can't even imagine the image that popped into my head for "banty love shack". LOL Picture pink, heart curtains, fluffy pillows.....oh my!!! I think I am losing my mind.

Thanks, mainchick. I really hope so. It is so sweet how Dexter treats her, and Kawaii certainly loves her. [​IMG] Yes, they really are so adorable...those short little legs. I almost considered giving her to someone who had more bantams but just couldn't do it. The little lady melts me. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Oh, speckledhen, you can't even imagine the image that popped into my head for "banty love shack". LOL Picture pink, heart curtains, fluffy pillows.....oh my!!! I think I am losing my mind.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by