what do i do about wild birds eating my chickens food!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BellLisamo, Mar 17, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Ok so apparently the wild birds are eating the hens laying feed mix. I'm waiting to see a $hit ton of wild bird eggs around. TURDS! WHAT DO I DO!!! They are pigs!

2. JupiterFarmer

JupiterFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Palm Beach County
    Sit back and enjoy? A pair of cardinals are picking at the mess the chicks leave at our house. Its really cute to see the male feed his mate on occasion

Otherwise try supervised feedings?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  3. farmer macdonald123

farmer macdonald123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    north carolina
    if when you are storing it then get a better container to put it in
    if it is when you feed them either get a bird feeder or get one of those feeders at tractor suply or southern states:thumbsup

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Do you have your run covered?. The only thing so far in the wild birds that get in mine are the titmice. They don't stand a chance once the girls are let out of a morning into the run. No bird gets in. They would kill them. If yours are free range there is no way that I know of to keep them from eating it. Jean

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    measure the feed out, just enough that your birds will eat in one "Sitting.." wild birds will bring in mites and all kinds of diseases... plus measuring them out will keep your birds more healthy weight wise.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I feed the wild birds in the front yard and Obelisk in the back.

7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    my run is fenced off with chicken wire. and as for my hens? they dont care about the birds flying in! Chickens! LOL.

It is in a free feeder type thing, its covered. Thanks for all the tips and advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by