What do I do - Emergency Chick problem listed on chicks forum

AlthoughI am no expert, start with cleaning the injury using saline solution ( contact lens solution will work). then you can perhaps see better what is going on. As far as the maggots, they CAN help clean a wound but of course remove them/wash them off. Electrolytes for the chick would be good now. Quiet warm place low light where you can keep an eye on the baby. If it were me I would bring her inside where you can watch her. Then apply neosporin ointment (the one without painkiller) to the wound. Make sure there is plenty of food and water and chick is pooping.

I think then you can reassess the amount and kind of damage. Post more pics. More experienced people here will weigh in hopefully.

Any idea how the injury happened?

Yes. Hopefully this better pics of wound:
IMG_20170714_221903.jpg
Took while cleaning with peroxide and using tweezers to remove those things.
Had to stop because baby began to shiver. Have it wrapped up in one of my Uncle's dish towels and it's sleeping so trying not to disturb it.
Both my Uncle and I know the baby has a good set of lungs, I was talking to him on the phone without the phone being on speaker so it's a fighter.
Just keep the baby in your prayers and wish us both good luck.

No idea of how it happened. Don't even know when the baby hatched. If I had been paying more attention I would have noticed that one of the hens was sitting on a nest outside so I feel this is my fault.

It is not your fault! Good for you getting those maggots off, do recheck regularly of course. And I am sure you will take very good care of the baby! Try and avoid peroxide going forward and stick to saline solution...you can make it easily...just google it for recipe or search forum here, and put it in a squeeze bottle to irrigate the wound maybe twice a day and then reapply the triple antibiotic.

Aww it shivering cause of stress or too cold. As you remember, a warm snuggly place...do you have a heating pad? Give it warmth and a place to move away from warmth. 95 degrees I think it still tiny and doesn't have its mommie now.

I know I like peroxide A LOT but I think it may be too harsh and drying and I dont generally see it recommended on this forum for chickens.

If you take good care of baby and make sure it has electrolytes (nutridrench, sav a chick or make your own) you might be surprised how fast it heals.

@cow whisperer

It's very important to remove all the maggots.
Using Peroxide was fine for this first cleaning, but from this point forward use saline or soapy water (you can use Dial Soap or Original Dawn dish liquid) to wash/flush the wound to rid it of any more maggots.

Dry your baby well - if you need to, use a hair dryer set on low to dry her. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wound.

Watch the wound to see if any more maggots appear.

If the hen has more chicks - it would be a very good idea to move her and the chicks to a clean, safe environment. Inspect the hen and all the chicks for signs of maggots and treat according.

FWIW- Anytime you find maggots on an animal, they should be removed and the wound should be thoroughly cleaned, monitored and cared for. Maggots are used in the medical field, but these are "medical maggots" that are raised in a sterile environment and are bred to feed only on dead tissue, they are also carefully applied and monitored by a medical professional under controlled conditions. These are completely different than what you would find in an animal wound.

Last edited:
Don't have heating pad but I have it wrapped up in one of my Uncle's dish towels. It has room to move and breathe but I've got it snuggled in and right now it's sleeping so I'm going to enjoy my first cup of coffee.

It might be too late for this little one.
I keep hearing it peep but it can barely move.
Maybe I killed it faster by using peroxide but I didn't know any different. I don't have original Dawn dish soap but I do have antibacterial hand soap.

Back
Top Bottom