What do I do for my Muscovy Ducks ?? new to ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by reyecat, Mar 17, 2013.

1. reyecat

reyecat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    so, i got these 5 ducks... only ONE is a female so I think I'll be butchering soon or I will have to find another female so I can keep two breeding pairs.

ANYHOOOO

They were in a tiny pen, a muddy shallow "pond" and with too many other ducks, muscovies and others. So I took them home where I have a big pond, chicken feed and I set up a little shelter for them to go into if they want.

My question is... will they find the feed? or do I have to show them?

will they find the shelter or do I need to make them go in there?

they have a lot of options and space here and I don't care if they don't eat the food or use the shelter if they are capable of finding these things for themselves.

They were sooooooo happy when I released them near our pond(s) they were flapping and wagging and barrel rolling and flipping and diving and preening... so I'm very very glad I took them. Just need a few tips as to how worried I need to be about them being new to ducks and them being new to this property :)

here's a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Nice setup! my concern? how are your predators? come nightfall if they don't get into proper shelter you could loose them. I would make sure they get into housing at night and put the food near it to encourage them to go near where this shelter is.

What is the shelter like? can it be locked down for night? My Muscovy have a mini barn that we lock them into nightly, then they have a fenced area(1/4 of acre) that surrounds this, then we let them out to forage the farm.

I bring them in to the fenced area before dusk and then by almost sunset, we lock them in the shelter.

3. reyecat

Apr 1, 2008
    the pond area is fenced in with a few places that critters could get through... I have yet to see coyotes or mountain lion though I've been told they are in the area, I've been living here since october and no sign of them. My biggest concern is dogs. The last guy who lived here lost all his geese to the neighbours dogs... but they've moved though there are other dogs in the area that people just let roam free.

I do plan to herd them into the chicken pen at night where there is an extra coop, so I'm going to have to make an opening in that side of the pen.

Question about food. The food I have is wheat and other grains and non medicated but it has other additives, like protein and stuff... How do I feed them? do i just scatter it on the ground? do I put it in a bucket? they don't seem the least interested in it at all.

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That's good that it is fenced but do keep in mind while you maybe not have seen these predators you had nothing that was of interest. All that can changes when you add things, so your idea of herding them in to a safe area is good.

Dogs are a BIG issue, your so correct, 99% sure that is how i lost two of my own last year, the dog however is now chained up.

Food wise? i use a flock raiser here, we actually have a homemade feeder outside, you can sorta see it in this picture. We leave rubber livestock tubs out there too for water. I will toss some BOSS and other greens(they adore romaine lettuce) on the ground but they mainly get there diet of flock raiser and whole grains and forager for extras.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. reyecat

Apr 1, 2008
    we've had free range chickens all this time... most of them got gotten by a dog... that is now chained up... i still want to make sure they're in when we're not around and at night. Most people are aware of their dogs even if they're roaming but this dog was under a year and not stimulated (border collie just left to his own devices) since this happened they are keeping a better eye on him.

so they'll just find their feed? i put it in a bin down by the pond for now until I get them going up to the coop at night and while we're not home.

I think my feed is comparable to Flock Raiser. it's locally grown etc. etc.

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ok, well then that helps you know a bit of what is nosing about. We have bear, fox, coyote/wolves, mountain lion, coons etc... BUT as you say those rogue dogs seem to bring forth the largest issue.

If the food is around where they are, they should find it. Mine wander in/out of the area by there mini barn, foraging then returning for meals, were kinda low on the options for food since it's still mainly snow & ice.

I do keep food in my main part of my barn and a heated bucket but that is a personal thing some choose not to due to mess, for us it just ensures everyone is getting what they need, especially since i have various ages...

7. reyecat

Apr 1, 2008
    k, I'll just try for a more secure paddock and sleeping house for them and try to stop worrying ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by