What do I do?!! Found 15 eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crashley, Oct 13, 2016.

1. crashley

crashley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    Roy, utah
    I have 2 pet ducks that have been mating but I didn't think any eggs were coming due to the season. Well I just found a nest with 15 eggs! Mama duck has not been seen sitting on them at all. I hurried and grabbed them because they felt cold and put them under a heat lamp. I left it for 5 minutes and noticed the temperature went up to 120 degrees! I'm worried if they weren't already dead, I may have killed them. Then I read that maybe she hasn't gotten broody yet and I should leave them alone. So I put them back in the nest. What should I do? I don't want them to die but I'm clueless! Help!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I suggest you invest in a small incubator and use it if you want more baby ducks. Considering your location, it may not be the ideal time of year to have baby ducks naturally. If your duck does go broody in the cold weather, Your baby duck count may be low. I would not count on much from the eggs you have now. If you do want lil ducklings, go the incubator route. When they hatch, raise them in a brooder inside your warm facilities. When they grow out some, then let them join your current ducks. WISHING YOU BEST
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. crashley

crashley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    Roy, utah
    Update! I decided to take 5 eggs and incubate them. I made an incubator out of a old aquarium. the eggs are doing well and today we saw a heartbeat!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by