What do I do? Help!

Boymom2

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2020
Okay so I wrote last week about ducks eggs I inherited from a mama mallard that was attacked. All have died except one I was questioning. It’s the only one that ever got a warm reddish color to it. I thought surely it was probably dead but I candled it just to see and it moved inside after about 45 seconds. It startled me. What do I do? Humidity at 65 until hatch? The mama supposedly laid on feb 22 but they had 2 days of nothing sitting on them and were cold when I got them. I had them on a heating pad in a box for a day before I was able to grab an incubator. I really want this little one to make it but should I help? I do not see the beak in the air sac.

Attachments

• 9D2B3517-0D3F-44C6-8ACD-C9FEA33EF9B0.jpeg
    9D2B3517-0D3F-44C6-8ACD-C9FEA33EF9B0.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 8
That looks pretty good to me. Yep, just up humidity to 65 until hatch. Don't turn it anymore. I would expect it to start hatching in 3-4 days. Up humidity once it internally pips and then sit on your hands. Ducks take forever to hatch. Good job rescuing it!

Looks like he is still alive, but from the picture, it looks like he is only around day 14-16.
I don’t think that’s possible. She laid them on Feb 22 and I’ve had them a week now. I did an eggtopsy on one of the others and it was definitely a pretty formed duck. In the photo it kind of looks like he isn’t taking up as much of the shell as it did earlier but he moved a bit. Almost the entire thing was black.

I don't know... It looks pretty close to me. I usually have lots of space in my eggs until internal pips happen. It might be a bit behind because it was cold for a while.

lol, well my eggs are usually totally black, It might depend on the flashlight I guess, After looking on Meter farms Candling chart, it looks like your probably right.

That looks pretty good to me. Yep, just up humidity to 65 until hatch. Don't turn it anymore. I would expect it to start hatching in 3-4 days. Up humidity once it internally pips and then sit on your hands. Ducks take forever to hatch. Good job rescuing it!
I am so sad the others passed. Up higher than 65? I am no longer turning. How can I tell it internally pipped without candling?

Back
Top Bottom