what do I do, HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rcentner, Jul 6, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    ok, real fast post, cause I am late to work, here's the scoop:

Janis is about 2 years old, she is having a hard time eating food, she picks it up but can't seem to move it to the back of her mouth and swallow. She has clear fluid coming out of her mouth. Nostrils are dry and eyes are fine. She picks up a piece of food, it hangs at the end of her beak, drool comes out and she shakes it out (fluid and food). She used to be very talkative and now she barely speaks, when she pecks at food in my hand, it's a very weak peck. She wont even eat BREAD! I don't know what to do for her. it is an upper respiratory thing? or is it a beak problem? Do I try trimming the beak? I just don't know where to begin. She is getting weak since she can't get much, if any, food down. Her stools are normal, but decreasing since she isn't eating normally. I have seen her drink and even that looks difficult for her, but it seems she can get the water down.

any suggestions? I wish I could take her to a vet!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Could she have swallowed something and has it stuck? Or, maybe crop issues?

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    or maybe gape worms? I don't know much about it but do a search and see if it matches your hens symptoms.

4. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I just got some fenbendazole and will treat for gapeworm, hopefully that is the problem. I am worried about my poor girl! Pray for my hen!

5. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    Sounds like a crop issue. Can you feel it? Does it feel hard? It should be nice and squishy. Has she had acccess to grit? Does she free range? I would start with the crop.

6. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    We had a hen with a crop problem. She made funny sounds and was a bit like yours. We gave her veg oil 3 times a day. You need to syring it into her mouth and then GENTLY massage the crop. Fixed ours up great. Though sadly a few months later something spooked her in the night and she flew up and bashed herself off the coop roof and broke her neck! So we lost her anyhow BUT FIXED THE CROP ISSUE!!!!!!!!!! Try it worked for our Eleanor.

Oesdog [​IMG]

7. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Her crop feels empty, last night when she was on the roost it looked like she may have eaten a small amount. It was empty this morning when I picked her up. The 1st day I thought it was a crop thing, massaged her crop and she did seem a little perkier the next day. She moves around a little more, but still sleepy and after I saw her attempting to eat the corn this morning, I fear it may be worse. I looked in her mouth, but then again, it's not very often I look in a chickens mouth. Ok, well, that was my 1st look at a chicken mouth.
    I just wonder if by deworming her I may not be doing justice to what is wrong and not fixing anything. OR making it worse. I have been giving her some yogurt and she eats a little, gave her some canned cat food this morning. She only eats a very little amount at one time. oh boy, I can't stand by and watch her waste away.

suppose, if I try deworming, antibiotics, probiotics and she is still not well then I will have to assume it's cancer or something unfixable. ugh.

oh yea...to answer your questions

not free range - in a run
    access to grit - yes
    crop empty

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  8. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    oh, and can it hurt to act as if she has a crop problem even if she doesn't?

9. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
  10. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I just wanted to let you know that I am praying that your hen will be ok. Think positive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by