What do I do? Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nike, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Nike

Nike Young&Beautiful

Jul 8, 2012
    My Coop
    Hi, please help!

My mom hen had some eggs under her but she got off the nest already with the three chicks already hatched. There is one egg I candled and I'm pretty sure it has a chick in it ready to hatch soon. What should I do? Right now I'm keeping it warm with myself but I checked and I don't have any other broodies so I'm not really sure what needs to be done with the egg?

If I can hatch it myself, should I have like a damp paper towel around it? I've heard of people puting them in their bra? Does that really work? And what would I have to do if I did that?

Thanks for any advice! I really don't want to let it just sit there and die when there is a chick in it.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Keep it warm (99*F or close as possible to) and when the broody goes to sleep for the night with her chicks slip the egg back under her. I've had eggs left in the nests by broodies hatch overnight like this. One hatched 2 days after the hen first got up with the chicks. I was so surprised I couldn't figure out where this extra chick came from, then I realised the "off" egg I forgot to remove from the nest box hatched. Good luck!

3. Nike

Nike Young&Beautiful

Jul 8, 2012
    My Coop
    Thank you! I will do exactly that, thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by