what do i do here?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dylanh, Jun 16, 2011.

1. dylanh

dylanh New Egg

May 28, 2011
    my chickens are not off chick starter yet but i need to know if it is required, and if so, how long should they be given grower ration before switching them to layer? also, are there any other feeds or supplements they need when they start laying/?

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    I fed my chicks starter feed until about 18 weeks of age and then switched them to a mix of flock raiser and layer (they seem to do better with a slightly higher protein level than just layer feed provides). I free-feed oyster shell and grit as well as mix a little into their feed buckets. I do let them out into a grassy, fenced pasture for a few hours a day (when I am home) and I usually give them some fresh greens in the morning to keep them occupied while they are in their enclosed run (no grass grows there). Other than that, they get plenty of fresh water and they seem healthy and they lay wonderful eggs.

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:How old are your chicks? From what I've read on here you can switch them to a grower/finisher after 4-6 weeks, or keep them on starter up to 20 weeks (but most seem to recommend changing to non-medicated feed after 4-6 weeks), or move to a flock raiser. I'm going to use up the bag of starter I have now, then put my chicks (currently 6 weeks) onto the same grower I have my pullets (17 weeks) on. Once I finish that bag everyone will go on flock raiser (I also have 2 older laying hens).

If you're mixing them with older laying hens you might want to look at a flock raiser so everyone is on the same thing, with some oyster or egg shell free choice for the layers.

4. dylanh

dylanh New Egg

May 28, 2011
    Quote:How old are your chicks? From what I've read on here you can switch them to a grower/finisher after 4-6 weeks, or keep them on starter up to 20 weeks (but most seem to recommend changing to non-medicated feed after 4-6 weeks), or move to a flock raiser. I'm going to use up the bag of starter I have now, then put my chicks (currently 6 weeks) onto the same grower I have my pullets (17 weeks) on. Once I finish that bag everyone will go on flock raiser (I also have 2 older laying hens).

If you're mixing them with older laying hens you might want to look at a flock raiser so everyone is on the same thing, with some oyster or egg shell free choice for the layers.

they'er 4 weeks old an i am feeding a medicated starter/grower curantly. will i need to transition them to a grower b4 layer crumble? im trying to figure this out now for an FFA project and i need a budget for feed and such.

5. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I don't think you have to, but I don't know that there's a huge benefit in continuing the medicated feed much longer. So if you are going to finish the bag you have before they are 20 weeks I would get a grower/finisher (they can be on that past 20 weeks as long as you give them some additional calcium. If you have more than enough of the starter you are probably fine to use that up to 20 weeks. I did find mine started going through a LOT more feed when they hit about 5 weeks, so you will go through feed faster from this point on then you have in the last 4 weeks.

Edit to add: I have 7 chicks, and am halfway through my 2nd 25 lb bag of starter at 6 weeks. I did raise my feeder up on a cinder block, which helped some with wasted feed.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  6. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    My chicks are now 13 weeks and on starter, we still have a couple weeks worth of that left... thinking about mixing it with layer feed to transition them. Or would it be better to finish the starter and switch to layer straight up?

7. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    I have 13 chicks--1 month old--I use Purina medicated start and grow the instructions on the bag says to use up to 18 weeks and switch over to their Sunshine Layer ration 4 weeks before point of lay...if that helps any...and I would think when you start transitioning food to mix it alittle so they get weaned off of one onto the other...IMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by