What do I do? I hate my bridesmaid dress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cara

Songster
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
NM
My sister is getting married in July. She lives in England, so the whole bridesmaid thing is getting complicated. She sent me an e-mail with a link to the dresses she plans to order. She didn't ask if we liked them so much as say that she hoped we liked them as much as she does. Problem is, I think they're awful. I don't know whether to say something before she orders them or just keep my mouth shut. I know it's her day and she should have what she wants, and if it comes down to it i'll wear whatever she wants me to. I just don't think they'll look right. They are quite decorative and three of them would be a bit much. They're strapless with a high waist below the bust, i'm short-waisted and large busted. They're A-line and make the butt on the mannequin look big. I don't want to be a dumpling but I don't want to hurt her feelings
sad.png

Before we chime in, we will need to see the dress. It is imperitive.
smile.png

You are going to have to suck it up. If the dress is over-pricey and you have to pay for it, then you have grounds to bow out of being a bridesmaid. Otherwise, just look silly for a day and make her happy.

How about if I suggest something else without saying I don't like the first choice?

I agree- we must see the dress...but I have to say: It is the job of the bridesmaids to look however the bride chooses, regardless...you'll make her look good! It's a privilege to be a part of making this an incredible memory for the rest of her life. You can look back and laugh, right? I have several dresses that I kept just out of a sense of humor- they were pretty far out there.

It looks like I might be in the same situation very soon, my older sister is getting very serious with the guy and she has horrible taste right now the wedding colors are bright blue (like the blue header for BYC and white!)
I agree with LareePQG we have to see those dresses.

pics not working: this dress?

http://www.coast-stores.com/search?keywords=gable+organza+bandeau

it is cute--but probably not flattering to anyone. I would AVOID suggesting anything. Bridezilla or not, just wear the dress, look dumpy, and change before the reception. You may be able to find a tailor who can alter it just enough to make it flattering for you.

EDITED: If YOU have to buy the dresses, then perhaps you can suggest this: For my wedding I asked my maids to wear their favorite "little black dress". That way, no one had to spend any money, and the dresses they had ALREADY made them feel pretty and were personally flattering.

Last edited:
When you get the dress, you can always take it to a local tailor and have them 'adjust' it so it actually flatters you without having to 'upset the bride'.

I would kindly remind her to try to compliment all the body types involved (send her examples of dresses in pics). I have been in your shoes and boy it is not easy.

ETA Honestly you may just have to suck it up and live with it, my experience with bridesmaids dresses was not the first, you will probably end up wearing what she wants because that's what she is focused on HER wedding not how you will look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom