what do I do in the winter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Firtle, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Firtle

Firtle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    What do I do with my chickens in the winter? If I go away, does anything change? What do I do then?

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

Lots of great folks on here and TONS of great info. The more specific you can be the better answers you will get.
    I think we need more info. Are you asking about winterizing the coop? Heating? Freezing water? A vacation?
    Must know your set up and what exactly you need answers to in order to help.

3. Firtle

Firtle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    If I go away in the winter, should I ask neighbors to take care of them? Will they get too cold?

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes, it's best to have someone come and check on the chickens daily, collect eggs, and make sure all is well, especially in the winter when the waterer can freeze up. Chickens can't go for very long without access to liquid water.

If your chickens have a dry, draft free coop, they can handle cold weather fine (unless they are a breed known for not being cold hardy, like Seramas).

5. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i live away from my hens only a five minute drive, anyways my uncle live 2 mins away from them so he feeds them sometimes inwinter when we cant drive up and he forgot to feed them for a week i rang and said how are all the hens doing and he said have you not being feeding them and i was like no why would i give you the food if i was and he was like i havnt fed them since last week so i went up soon as i got off the phone and luckily they were all ok

6. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from Maryland.

I hope that you will get someone to check on them to make sure they have food and that their waterer isn't frozen. We fill up our feeder and waterer everyday. I guess it would depend how long you think you're going to be gone. If you don't go away, your routine for taking care of them will probably not need to change much.

7. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would say that was very lucky! A friend of mine got a call that her daughter was very sick about 100 miles away. She dropped everything and headed down to see her, but sadly did not make it in time and her daughter passed away. In the rush for the family to get there, nobody made arrangements for my friend's flock to be fed or watered. Each one thought the other had made plans for them. As a result she lost 5 of her flock of about 40 chickens. [​IMG] If you can do it, try to stop by every other day or so. Your chickens won't overeat. Iif not, how about investing in a feeder that holds a week's worth? It will give you peace of mind.

8. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Oh no that was the last straw he also forgot to check on them when i was in hospital and one was killed, so i will be putting loads of vedge in and i will try get up twice a week and give them a big feed and he can give them a little bit every day

9. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I've left mine for up to 4 days alone. They have a 6x6 coop, a 32x12 run, and a 3.5 sided shelter that is 10x16 with roosts. They have done very well. I always leave enough water and food to last them twice the time. I just don't have anyone around to take care of them. I have heated waterers for winter.

The only thing that upsets them is being locked up. They normally free range all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by