What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gayle-the-Australorp, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Gayle-the-Australorp

Gayle-the-Australorp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    So I tried incubating a fertile egg from Trader Joe's having read about other people who tried it.

Well having compared it to photos of fertile eggs from day 1-3, mine definitely was a dud.
    I carefully opened it up and no sign of life whatsoever.

I think the eggs being 2 weeks old was part of the reason.

I'm tempted to try again with another egg from the same carton but I'm afraid of getting the same results.

So...my question is should I try again this time or wait?

2. Gayle-the-Australorp

Jul 6, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    I think where I went wrong is using an alternative incubation method from Google which resulted in issues with heat and humidity. Plus I think my being nervous and past failures got the better of me.

3. Lilmissesmom

Lilmissesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2016
    San Diego, California
    What kind of incubation?

4. Gayle-the-Australorp

Jul 6, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  5. Lilmissesmom

Sep 1, 2016
    San Diego, California
    Wow! A 45 watt lightbulb in a small space like the article mentioned would be wayyyyy to hot and hand warmers as well if right on the egg. The rice in a sock and microwaved would be uneven heating. And none give adequate humidity. If you want an inexpensive DIY incubator, google DIY incubators. I made one from a plastic tote. Cut a hole in the side and put in a small glass like in a small picture frame, that gives you a viewing window. Put small ventilation holes in the top, 2 should be good, and 2 on each side. If still air ( no fan) make sure temp is 102. If fan is installed, temp 99.5. Put a small cup or dish filled with lukewarm distilled water in. There are many videos on dyi incubators on youtube as well.

6. Lilmissesmom

Sep 1, 2016
    San Diego, California
    As for lightbulb, i used a 25 watt bulb

7. Gayle-the-Australorp

Jul 6, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    Ok, now I see where I messed up..

Not sure if I could use these to make a homemade incubator, it's just what I have on hand at the moment:

Plastic storage container, (it's one of those clear ones they sell at Target, Staples, etc...)

Plenty of old towels and shirts.

20 watt bulb

8. Lilmissesmom

Sep 1, 2016
    San Diego, California
    You could get the plastic totes at the Dollar Store for a buck. If the tote is small a 20 watt might work, set up the bator and see if the temp holds.

9. Gayle-the-Australorp

Jul 6, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    Good to know.

The container I have holds 6 Qt.

The 20 watt bulb I have was for my desk lamp which sadly broke beyond repair. Only other option I have would be a 15 watt 120v which is what my lava lamp has.

10. Lilmissesmom

Sep 1, 2016
    San Diego, California
    Not sure 15 watts would be enough. Worth a try anyway. Try the dollar store for a 25 watt bulb.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by