What do I do? Pics included

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by terrilhb, Feb 2, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    This is one of my 1 week old chicks. It will be 2 weeks on Sat. I had 2 that had bad legs. One passed. This one I used the bandaide method and pipe cleaner one. Left it on for 4 or 5 days. Seemed to help a little. I read that this treatment could only be done during the 1st week. Because after that the bones are hardening. I do not know what to do for it. Can someone help please. It does eat and drink. As it gets bigger it seems to get worse. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Forgot to add when it stands up the left leg is straight and the right leg seems to rest on the knee. (If that is what you call it)[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Could this be rickets from lack of calcium. I don't know if a young chick can have rickets or not. But if it is getting around ok I would just let it go and butcher when it is grown. That is what I would do.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Try giving it poly- vi- sol (baby vitimins without the iron) may need some vitimins

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks I will try it. Will it hurt to give it to all the chicks

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:No, go by directions, though.

6. theregoesterri@gmail

[email protected] New Egg

Feb 2, 2011
    I am no chicken doctor but it looks to me like the leg was broken. They are so fragile it can happen. If the chick is not in pain I would do nothing and butcher when it is a little older if it continues to be a problem for the chick getting around. Sad but at least it is not a total loss. Good Luck

7. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I give 3 drops a day for a week.its been awhile since I had to do this but I think I put it in there water,and made sure they drank all that water in a days time.Maybe someone else can help out on this,it might be drops right form the bottle 3 times a day not sure.

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    This method of fixing it might work. There are pics about halfway down showing how to put a boot on the foot. I had a chick like that, and did the band aid boot, and it worked perfectly. Can't tell there was anything wrong now!
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html

9. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Greetings, I think I would be tempted to open that foot up and brace with tape and plastic sticks, to see if I could get the chick to stand on the open foot, Rather than supranating. The chick may learn to stand on the foot and not guard by droping down when at rest. Good luck with the chick.

Richard

Kla37, I just read that ,feathersite, that's pretty good!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I agree it looks like it could be a broken leg. Doesn't look like normal curled toes. Looks like the chick is lifting it up so as not to put any weight on it. But then if you had another one like that in the same hatch you would think it WAS one of the normal chicky orthopaedic problems. Hard to tell what to do...

If it IS broken, it's impossible to tell without an X-ray if it will ever fix itself. That would depend on where and how the bone was broken. I had one chicken with a broken ankle that came good in time. I had another that had its lower leg bone shattered so badly that it would never have fixed itself no matter how long I had left it.

Good luck with this one...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by