What do I do? Please help fast!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PrestonSloan08, Aug 2, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    So yesterday morning I had two quail chicks that had hatched and I had one egg that was about half way zipped!! But since then it hasn't zipped any more but it is still alive!! It pokes it's nose out but it just hasn't made any progress!! So should I help it out?

2. obsessiveanimallover

obsessiveanimallover New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    If your baby is making noise still I would help him out. I had a chick that was stuck in his egg for a long time because his legs were messed up. (Needless to say he died because of his condition). This may be a problem with your baby so you might open the egg a little bit and see if that helps him any!

3. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I personally would help. I did with one of our that only halfway zipped. Mine had managed to turn itself around in it's shell (head in the small end) and would never have hatched on it's own. It is a personal choice. If you decide to help, just make sure (if there are any more) that any other eggs are not pipped.

4. chikiwiki

chikiwiki Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Arcadia Fl
    i agree you should help it out (i had a chick that died because i didnt help it out of its shell [​IMG] )

5. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Sure, help it!
    In both of my hatches the last chick to hatch had problem coming out. It would get to the zip part and then sit there for hours. I was very hesitant to help them, scared after reading all the arguments against it, but ended up helping them both and they turned out perfectly fine. By the next day I couldn't even tell which one it was that I helped. So yeah, I say, just do it.

6. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Ok I will help when I get home!!

7. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    I had to help one of mine because it had that sticky chick going on so it couldnt turn in the shell anymore to finish zipping. I helped it and kept damping the spot that the sticky part got hard like cement and it eventually came off and he fully dried and seemed to be doing ok but wasnt really as strong as the other ones. It ended up dying at 2 days old :0( It was very sad for us. I would say, if you have to help it, help...but only as little as needed. They really do need to hatch on their own (if possible) so they can build their strength. Good luck!

8. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    What ever happened?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by