WHAT DO I DO???? PLZ look...hatching now need immed. info

newbiechickenowner

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Georgia, VT
Hello. Hatching out right now. Day 28. I know it says to leave them in there, but, I just got home to 4 or 5 ducklings that hatched out while I was gone for 2 hours and they are all piled on top of one poor duck and they have pushed several of the still pipping eggs way into the corner.

The biggest question is they have made the humidity rise to 82%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% There is condensation on the top. Only 5 out of 22 are hatched so I don't dare to go in...it is a hovabator with a fan circulator.

What do I do????????????????????????????????

PLEASE REPLY>

Take the bator into the bathroom, turn the shower on full, and when the room is steamy take your babies out. Sounds like it could stand to lose a little humidity anyway.

I am sorry i am not sure on Ducks - i have heard that hatching will raise teh temps temporarily. I hope it works out and my post bumps you to get a response!

Ok... first thing to do is breathe!! Congratulations of your little ducklings...

Second, if you have vent plugs in your incubator, take ONE out for a few minutes to let the humidity drop a bit... This will also allow a little bit of oxygenated air into the incubator without putting the others at risk...

Whatever you do, DO NOT open the incubator!! As for them playing football, it's fine.. This will not stop the others from hatching and may even encourage them to hatch!

Third thing to do is BREATHE!! LOL

Goddess
jumpy.gif

oohhhh!!! I think the best advice was the "breathe" part! Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I am just a bit jumpy!!!!!!! I didn't think I would be, but, it is our first time and it looked like a hog pile on the football field. Since transporting them to the bathroom right now would be very tricky, I think I will go with the vent plug. Thanks again all! I greatly appreciate it. I will also keep the bathroom trick in mind for a little later in the game. I know I am already panicky and we have just started! It is going to be a lLOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG day!!!!!!
wee.gif

Quote:
This is brilliant. I had never thought of that. It would prevent the humidity from falling dangerously low.
thumbsup.gif

Actually, if it's done right, the humidity outside the incubator would be much HIGHER than the inside so they would have absolutely no chance of shrink wrapping... Our shower is in a little nook of a large bathroom and I put up another curtain so that just the shower area would need to be steamed.. It works perfectly! But for someone just getting into incubation, I would not suggest it... It's much too easy to get dry air into the incubator...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I removed the plugs, but it is not dropping...still at 81%.....the windows are all condensed up....

also, there is one that popped out about a quarter-sized area on the top and it is bloody, BUT, it appears to NOT have broken through the membrane and now..it is just still....

Quote:
This is brilliant. I had never thought of that. It would prevent the humidity from falling dangerously low.
thumbsup.gif

Actually, if it's done right, the humidity outside the incubator would be much HIGHER than the inside so they would have absolutely no chance of shrink wrapping... Our shower is in a little nook of a large bathroom and I put up another curtain so that just the shower area would need to be steamed.. It works perfectly! But for someone just getting into incubation, I would not suggest it... It's much too easy to get dry air into the incubator...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Sounds like the OP needs to let a little dry air in anyway

Back
Top Bottom