What do I do to incubate my eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by r0xiRox, Jan 24, 2009.

1. r0xiRox

r0xiRox Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    australia
    So I dnt wanna waste my time buying a incubater or whatever, I just wanna know that if the mummy hen stays laying on them, rather then all that high-tech stuff, will that kill the egg? also will the rooster try to eat the eggs or anything???

2. Padre

Padre Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I am no expert but you should have no problems with any thing you mentioned. If you want "natural hatchlings" get broody hens. Hope this helps.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The trick here is to get a hen to go broody, which means she wants to sit on the eggs. You can't make one go broody. You have to wait for that instinct to kick in. Some breeds are also more prone to go broody than others. If you have one that does go broody though, she will do a very good job at hatching and protecting those eggs. A lot of times it is better to separate the broody hen and eggs from the rest of the flock as well.

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    ●●●●●ѕηαρ∂яαgση●●●●● :

So I dnt wanna waste my time buying a incubater or whatever, I just wanna know that if the mummy hen stays laying on them, rather then all that high-tech stuff, will that kill the egg? also will the rooster try to eat the eggs or anything???

You wouldn't be wasting your time buying an incubator...
    Bators aren't high tech, per se. Turn it on add eggs, water, and turning.

Also depending on the breed the hen may not go broody at all. It is chickens like silkies or cochins that would be a good broody. You can't make a hen broody, it is a natrual thing.

If you like your hand, buying an incubator would be smart [​IMG]

5. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Quote:GET A SILKIE!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    they'll do ALL the work [​IMG]
    and they're VERY cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by