What do i do while a chicken egg is hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Michaelshady, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Michaelshady

Michaelshady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Am i supposed to help it, i don't think i am. But also what do i do after the chick is full out of the shell?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Don't open the incubator, or you will let the extra humidity out, and that can cause problems for the other chicks that are hatching. Just let the chicks fluff up in there. They can stay in the incubator for 72 hours.

So really, don't do a thing....(It's hard! SIT ON THOSE HANDS!) [​IMG]

3. Michaelshady

Michaelshady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    So, when should i feed them, and what should i?

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    As I was told during my 1st time hatching. Sit on your hands. [​IMG] Theya can stay in there just fine for up to 72 hrs. Play on here and when not typing sit on your hands. [​IMG] Good luck. Make sure you take lots of pictures when they hatch. And sit on your hands.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:They have a yolk sack that you can't see, and it profides them with all the nutrients they need for about the first 72 hours, so you don't need to feed them or give them water while they're in the incubator.

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:They have a yolk sack that you can't see, and it profides them with all the nutrients they need for about the first 72 hours, so you don't need to feed them or give them water while they're in the incubator.

Technically correct, but if all your chicks finish hatching and fluff up quite quickly, you don't need to leave them in the bator for the full 72 hours. As soon as they're fluffed up you can put them in their brooder box, which should be pre-warmed to the correct temperature for them and have a feeder and waterer in it. You feed them chick crumbs, which are tiny pellet crumbs that provide them with all the nutrients they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by