What do i do with all the poo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roosterboy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I know it makes a good fertilizer but i can't compost it. What would i do with it all?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Does your county have a recycling center? Our does, for yard waste, branches, etc. They turn it to compost & offer it free to residents.

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Why can't you compost it? I never composted 'til I got chickens. My c-post pile is just a rectangle of chicken wire held by metal posts. I dump all the poopy straw & shavings in there and let them "cure." Not classical composting, but okay for the garden.

4. Roosterboy

Oct 28, 2008
    I don't think i could do that with the smell. I can't buy an odor free one because i'll be out of change after the coop and stuff

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    All you have to do is make a pile. It doesnt need sides, just pile it up, and make it like a volcano, so that water can seep into it instead of roll off the sides. Turn it over once or twice, and voila! You'll have great stuff. It shouldnt smell bad at all, once it starts cooking.

6. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
  7. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    If your city or county has a green waste area, they should love to use it for their compost. Our county makes compost and it's free to residents. They even load it for free [​IMG]

Thats what they do with all the leaves and tree limbs etc.

8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Feed it to cows, of course!!!

9. Roosterboy

Oct 28, 2008
    Quote:A good compost pile won't stink.

http://hgic.umd.edu/_media/documents/hg35_002.pdf

I am in the process of reading it but simply put how do i not make it stink?
    They had one at my camp that didn't stink but whenever they are on tv everyone complains

10. tamlynn

tamlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Torrance, CA
    Do you have a yard? Our compost is just a pile in the corner of the yard. We throw in the poop and bedding (rice hulls), kitchen scraps and grass clippings. If it starts to attract flies, I just put a layer of grass or dirt on top and that takes care of the problem. Every month or so we stir up the pile and twice a year we mix the pile into our garden beds. It doesn't smell bad if the top layer is dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by