what do i do with my Bantam rooster now???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cricket-getters, Oct 28, 2014.

1. cricket-getters

cricket-getters Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    Channing Texas
    I have raised chickens all my life. However I have "inherited" a bantam rooster that I have grown attached to. Problem is this.... My folks who are moving to south tx, I'm taking over their small "farm" lol... They are leaving all their chickens including about 50 hens and 2 leghorn roosters. My question is... Is there a way to introduce this little guy into the flock without massive bloodshed lol. I know their going to go at it but i don't wanna just throw him to the wolves. And I'm not sure about this breed other than they are funny to look at, but will they or can they hold their own???. So ...... Ready, set, GO!!!!!!!

2. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I have 2 bantam's and 2 RIR's. I keep them all separate except for the 2 red's. From my experience, the bantams can hold their own with another bantam. But I would be afraid to put my little guys with the big ones. Maybe you could keep them separate and that way you could keep them all. Or do they free range? If so, then maybe they could take turns? Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If there were no roosters in your parents flock it might be easier, but the leghorn roosters in your parents flock are not going to take well to a new rooster showing up and I think it could go badly for him.

Maybe build him his own coop/run and get him a few bantam hens for his own flock?

4. cricket-getters

Oct 24, 2014
    Channing Texas
    That's what I kinda figured. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had ran the two together

5. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    There are plenty of people keeping bantams and large fowl together - the trouble here is mostly about trying to introduce a new rooster to a flock with multiple roosters.

Personally, if I was going to do it, I'd pull the two roosters already there and put them in a cage together, and introduce the banty to the flock. After a couple days I'd reintroduce the original roosters, I think that would cause less damage to the Bantam then basically adding him as an intruder. He'll probably get beat up a little, but I don't think it would be nearly as bad that way (as he gets to deal with the hens and roosters separately)

6. cricket-getters

Oct 24, 2014
    Channing Texas
    Thanks, I know a big rooster is ok with him I had one but he "flew the coop" I had thought about building a smaller coop in the big one and just letting them see each other through the wire.
    I'm just not sure how sturdy Bantams are.

7. cricket-getters

Oct 24, 2014
    Channing Texas
    He's the rooster in my avitar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by