What do I do with these eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JenniferK, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Northern California
    So my little Black East Indies female has laid about 9 eggs in her nest over the last couple of weeks, and I don't know if I should still be waiting to see if she'll sit on them, or if I need to get them out of there. If she's not going to be broody we'd like to try incubating them, but I don't know how long they can sit and still be viable.

2. dragon86

dragon86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    west frankfort, il
    i no with chicken eggs i only let them set 2 weeks at room temp before i but them in my incubator or throw them away. been told after they they start losing there hatchabilty but dont no about duck eggs longest ive let them set is a week.

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Same thing for duck eggs. Two week and their are going down hill fast. Obviously you don't know which one is at what age. So you candle them all first to look for blood vessels. You most likely don't find any because she is not sitting on them. Then you put them into the incubator and wait 5-7 days. By then you will see blood vessels. The eggs that don't have any are no good. Throw them out and continue with the rest as normal. Candle once per week to be sure. Do not use a hot lamp. A very bright LED flash light will work just fine.

4. JenniferK

May 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Thank you for the very helpful answers!

5. JenniferK

May 7, 2007
    Northern California
    How funny -- I was kind of giving up on her being broody, but about halfway through the day today she disappeared -- she's sitting on them now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by