1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do i do with this weird drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fraoch21, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    I hatchted 2 runner ducklings last year but sadly one died which left one lonely so i had no choice but to put in a single chick with it to get it to calm down. The duckling grew up fine but when him and the chick reached maturity, the chick turned out to be a cockerel and was harrassing all the female ducks so we had to get rid of him.
    The other ducks wouldnt accept the drake so he followed the hens and turkeys around instead but he started acting like a turkey, the way that turkey hens fight with each other - he started doing that. So we seperated him into a pe with a single female runner to trya dn get them to bond. He went mad stuck inside the pen so we let them out and he has bonded with the duck. But now he attacks all the hens and other ducks, hes so bad he chases everything out of the garden and he had half his feathers pulled out by the other drakes. We decided that we have to get rid of him, (hopefully to someone with just female ducks but chances are looking slim right now) but first i decided to try and get the female runner to go broody and hatch some more runners and she has laid about 6 eggs in a nest so far but the drake seems to be trying to sit on them?
    He might just be sitting in there to keep out the rain but it looks like hes sitting on the nest. What on earth do i do with him? [​IMG] Could he just be confused as to what he is after being raised with a chick?

I have hen and duck eggs in the incubator right now but it looks like only 1 duck egg is going to hatch which means it will be raised with chicks aswell, will he turn out like that weird drake?

Sorry its so long and has anyone else had problems like this?
    thank you for any help

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hard to say exactly what has contributed to his troubles. Perhaps a change of scene would be helpful to him. I have often read that ducks need to have at least one duck buddy to grow up with. Can you get another duckling?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Why not make an extra area just for him and the duck he has bonded with, I think he is having some confusion as to what he is being raised with a chicken. But to have bonded with another duck is progress. This time of year male ducks don't get along to well together, I have 2 drakes and a gander and right now my youngest drake is missing feathers around his neck where the alpha drake has gotten him a few times. mating season is rough. So if you want to keep this drake I would make a run type for him and his girl. Use something like a tarp or old scrap wood where he cannot see the other ducks and hopefully he'll settle down. Keep us updated on your progress please.

4. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Thank you, ill try and set up a pen for him and his girl and get some more girls [​IMG]
    Sadly he has fallen ill right now-which ive posted in the emergencies section- so i hope he gets better

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so sorry to hear this, you may also want to post his symptoms here so some from this thread can help.

6. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Sorry, i never noticed your post till just now, sadly we decided to put him down as he was getting much worse

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so sorry to hear. [​IMG]

8. lorijohnson823

lorijohnson823 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    Calhoun, KY
    Aww, I'm so sorry for you loss. The poor little guy. [​IMG]

9. Fraoch21