what do I do without power???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by petrelline, Jan 16, 2010.

1. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    I'm nervous. I'm 12 days into a hatch and the weather report says there's a series of really big storms coming in -- maybe as much as two weeks worth, including very high winds. I live out in the boonies and when we have storms the power often goes out, sometimes for as much as a few days. We do have a generator, but we don't run the generator all the time, usually just for a few hours a day to warm the house and keep the food in the fridge from spoiling.

This was a bet I took setting eggs during storm season, and it looks like I'm going to lose that bet.

What can I do to keep the incubator warm if the power runs out? I have an older hovabator styrofoam incubator. I do have gas and I can heat up hot water. I've read about just wrapping the incubator in blankets -- does that work?

2. deek248

deek248 Chillin' With My Peeps

now why would you want to heat hot water??[​IMG]

all kidding aside this is what I did after hurricane Rita knocked power out for a few days and I lost most of my salt water fish.
    I got one of those uninterpretable power supply's. Took out the little batteries that came with it and hooked up 2 large deep cycle trolling motor batteries in their place.
    Now the water pump I have plugged into it will run for 3 days straight! I do have a generator and plug in a charger when we run it so as long as I have diesel for the gen. this U.P.S. will keep the tank running.
    This worked perfect for the last storm we had, hurricane Gustave!!
    You could do the same for your 'bator

3. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I had power 4 outages that lasted for about 3-4 hrs each and I thought my eggs were lost, but thankfully enough my eggs survived!!![​IMG]
    don't give up or panic when and if the power fails.

4. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Ughh... I'd sit on 'em lol

my desperate attempt when I wanted to hatch out eggs as a kid lol
    Carried those blasted eggs everywhere in a pocket... people apparently like to HUG you then and smoosh it [​IMG]

5. ZooNana

ZooNana Chillin' With My Peeps

I just posted in another thread a day or so ago about how we had a 4 day power outage during a hatch. I turned on our propane oven and directed the heat from the oven vent into the bater.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by