1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT DO I DO!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jxc900, May 7, 2016.

1. jxc900

jxc900 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    i had a polostryrine box and i put thermal stuff around the sides and at night i leave a hot water bottle in there and leave them outside is this a bad idea!!

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    What are you trying to do? The intent isn't clear.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    How do you cover it to keep predators out or from being knocked over?

If you are putting the box lid on, then, bad idea. but if no lid, how are you keeping heat from escaping the top?
    Is it ducklings you have in there? How old?

4. jxc900

May 1, 2016
    yes i do put the lid on how is this a bad idea? and there only a couple of days old. and i put them in a fenced encloser no predators can get to them. i poke a few holes inside so they can breathe.[​IMG]

5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Dude these are not bugs these are larger animals, you do not seem very prepared for them. They need a brooder, inside as in side the house with a heat source for the first week or 2 and they need poultry starter and water. You cannot poke hole in the box and think that they can breathe, that is not enough airflow you will kill them at this rate. Im not trying to be mean, but come on, like really! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. jxc900

May 1, 2016
    yes i am prepared for ducklings i have a few holes and i have also made a large hole through other side with wire for better ventilation. and yes of course i have feed and water for them and they have a water bottle that lasts all through the night oh and i know they not bugs [​IMG][​IMG]

7. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Yet you have them outside at a few days old. Thats not what you need to do. Look I'm trying to help, but you aren't keeping them in the proper habitat that they need to be in at that age. You lack the proper enclosure, a proper heat source, and proper protection. The ducklings need to be in a brooder, inside, and safe.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  8. jxc900

May 1, 2016
    they are safe! there in a box in a large metal enclosure with no way of birds,foxes or any other predators.

9. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    A box outside exposed to the elements, as in temperature changes and weather, is not safe. And a racoon can easily pry open any kind of box you have.

10. jxc900

May 1, 2016
    im in England i don't get racoons and the temperature right now is 17c

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by