What do I do!!???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pamperedamber, Sep 26, 2016.

1. pamperedamber

pamperedamber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2015
    Riverside, Ca
    The two newest chicks who hatched under the hen seem to bring out a mean streak from the hen. They appear to be fine so I am not sure why she is pecking at them. They are the lightest one is a completely different color than the other 5.

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    What breed is the hen? Some breeds aren't very good mothers but that doesn't really explain why she picks on just the two

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Sometimes a hen will target chicks that are a different color. Or, being the last 2 to hatch, she may sense that they may have a hard time keeping up with the rest. You can leave them and hope for the best, or remove them and raise them artificially. If you do the latter, you are apt to have a difficult time integrating them, as she will view them as a threat to her "accepted" clutch. Depends on your flock dynamics, amount of available space, and your flock goals. You might even consider finding someone who would welcome a couple of orphan chicks and give them away.

4. pamperedamber

pamperedamber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2015
    Riverside, Ca
    She is a Blue Ameraucana and is 9 months old. I think I will remove them but keep them so they can go in and out of where all the chicks are but can retreat to safety when needed. When the rest of the clutch hatches they will join the other two. Thank you for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by