what do I do

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dorklingmomma, Jan 28, 2013.

1. dorklingmomma

dorklingmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    citrus county
    I had a hen hatch several eggs but 1 was still chirping when she left the nest with a little crack in it. so I then hhelped the baby out but mom wants nothing to do with it I have it inside under a heat lamp when its feathers fluff up like the others should I try to put it back in the other hatchlings are 2 to 3 days old.

2. dorklingmomma

Jan 23, 2013
    citrus county
    The baby was in the egg when she left the nest

3. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Once the chick is fluffy you can try putting the chick with the other chicks under mom. If that doesn't work you can wait until dark then tuck the chick under the hen. That has worked for me before.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can try tucking it under her at night. Be aware chicks that have to be assisted to hatch have high mortality rates and may be weaker than the others. Chickens take "survival of the fittest" quite strongly and don't tolerate weak babies, so the hen may refuse to brood it or outright kill it.

5. dorklingmomma

Jan 23, 2013
    citrus county
    She excepted it and has been keeping the peace between them on top of that it is the only bantam chick and she seems to be a tough cookie. my son named it twinkle twinkle little star

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by