What do I do?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by luvmygeese, Nov 11, 2013.

1. luvmygeese

luvmygeese New Egg

Jun 15, 2013
    Hey all.

I owned two female geese that I raised together since May. A few days ago a neighbors dog broke out of their yard and into ours and killed one of my geese. I have the one goose, but I don't know what to do about her.
    Am I right in assuming she will be too lonely all by herself?
    Would it be too traumatic to bring home another goose her age (a baby wouldn't make it through our winter)? I don't know how they would get along if they weren't raised together. She is definitely the quieter, more submissive of the two I had.
    I don't even know if I'll be able to find a goose around here (northern IL), they two of them were ordered from Texas as babies.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    So sorry this happened to one of your geese. Make the neighbor pay for a new goose since their dog killed your one. Your goose will be very very lonely and I recommend to try and get you another goose as soon as possible. She will be happy to see another goose because she will be lonely with out her friend. They do grieve for their lost friends! I would start looking now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  3. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss and hope you find a goose friend for the goose you still have. I hope that dog doesn't get into your yard again. Can you look on craigslist there in IL?

4. luvmygeese

luvmygeese New Egg

Jun 15, 2013
    Thank you. I have actually been searching Craigslist. I found a few leads, but I'm always worried about the birds bringing home a disease.

Our neighbors are lovely people. They already got rid of the dog (I think it went to a friend of theirs who had loved it and always said they would love to have it) and offered to pay for the goose.

Can anyone give me advice on introducing geese?

5. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Can you make a separate area with fencing to keep them apart until they get use to each other through a fence for a few days? If so that would be great. Because you goose is now lonely it will make sure to look the new one over. They could hiss at each other at first this is normal.. Then after a few days start introducing them with supervision and see how it goes if good leave them together then...

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You really don't have to worry about geese and diseases like you do with other poultry. But like RURU says keeping them apart with some temp fencing will help them get to know each other with out confrontation. So sorry for your loss.

7. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    well since the goose is young you can just put them together with out any problems if its a gander then i think rurus advice will be best

8. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

It´s just a baby. If you get another female the same age more or less, no problem..if you get a female that´s older, she´ll just be boss. Next to no problem. If you get a male, he could be keen and frighten her, so slow introduction. But I imagine you plan to get another female. One thing to bear in mind, though not a disease as such, is make sure it´s wormed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by