What do I do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickalicia, Feb 1, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    On the 28 th my broody decided to kick her eggs out. I have no idea why. There wer 14 altogether One was beyond repair so I did an eggtopsy on it and it was a fully developed chick but still had yoke. So that would be 14 days? One other one had a crack on smaller end I taped it. I have seen it move so so far so good. My problem is I have seen the other eggs move but now I don't. I don't know if it's cuz Iam catching them in sleep time or they didn't make it. I have them in a hova bator. Humidity bout 65% temp bout 98-does go up down a degree but not too much. How long do I wait before I know it didn't work. Also the one I taped do I leave it on -will it harm hinder the chick if it hatches?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I think in a case like this you would need to wait until day 21 or even 23. Did you candle them before you put them in the incubator?

3. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Yes I did to see if they wer ok. They wer at diff stages There are 8 that are the ones Iam talking about the others are in incubator also but wer anywhere from like day ten or so. I know prob not best to put them in same incubator at diff stages but I only have the one. The 8 wer very dark with light area on bottom that went up about an inch. Hope my description is understandable

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'm assuming you are on or past day 18 if you are running the humidity that high and the chick was fully developed. Don't worry over egg movement. A lot of times if you see eggs moving that's them getting into position and once they are in position they will rest for a while before the next step. Honestly, I seldom see my eggs move until they pip. I only occasionally hear peeping form inside either. If your temp is running 97/98 you may find they hatch a day or two later as well. The average temp for forced air should be 99.5 and a still should average 101-102. Cooler (average) temps may cause delayed hatches. If you knew exactly what day of incubation you were on I'd say give it till at least day 24 if not sure. Not knowing what day the incubation was on I'd say give it at least two days after you last saw movement then candle and if no internal peep or noticeable movement then consider doing the float test.
    As for the tape, I'd leave it unless the chick decieds to pip in that very spot. As long as it's not pipping or zipping where the tape is, it shouldn't interfer. There's my opinions. Good luck. :)

5. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Thank you so v much for all that helpful info. What is the float test? Should I bring temp up?

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    This is a thread about the float test: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching (just make sure there are no internal pips before doing it.)
    If you are using a still air incubator I would definitely try to get the temp to 101, if you are using a forced air I'd try to get it 99 and then if you have a degree up or down you are in a better range.

7. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I will bring temp up to 101 and try that test on them or some also. My LH bought me a good led light so I did gentle candle them 7-8 them I seen movement. The air sack I seen but also clearness went up bout 1/4-1/2" from air on one side to bout 1 -11/2" on other side like the clear part of egg. That good? They did move. I was v carful w them also that part does that go up on side or down when laying back down? I don't want to put it back in wrong way.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    This should give you an idea of how big the air cells should be at key points of gestation:
    [​IMG]
    Not sure exactly what you mean in the last question. If you are laying them down there is no "wrong way" if you are laying them flat. I mark my air cells with a pencil during the incubation so a I can measure the growth. At lockdown I try to make sure that the lowest point of the air cell is facing up because generally that's where they pip. If you have them sitting up in a turner or cartons then the big end always goes up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by