What do I feed baby emus? First-time emu mama!

Dees'NEees

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2017
Minnesota
This year I'm getting my very first baby emus, and since I'll be a new emu mama, I need to brush up on my emu knowledge! One of the things I really need to know is what to feed them? I've called a couple of feed stores around my area, and nobody has specific emu feed... so is there a different feed I can substitute with, or are there certain things I can mix together?? I'd really like a lot of details so that I don't stunt the growth of my babies. Can someone tell me how much to feed them/when to feed them/how to feed them/and what to feed them!

Thanks!!!

If emu feed is not available, a good quality chick starter is fine, and non medicated. Once they are eating this for a few weeks, I throw some cracked corn on the ground for them to peck at. Keep an eye on your protein, anything over 20% has caused some breeders problems with leg development (legs becoming splayed). I know someone who also feeds a small dog food kibble after a few months, again around 20% protein. I also like to supplement with fruit such as watermelon grapes and pineapple (all diced finely).

I fed my babies a starter/grower mixed with a good layer pellet(crushed for first two weeks) and rabbit pellets(crushed for the first two weeks). All mixed together equally. When they got roughly 6 months old I switched them over to just rabbit pellets and layer pellets 50/50.

medicated chick starter is fine, have raised many with it but do try to get the lowest protein I can find, under 20% and prefer in the 16-17% range if possible.
Yes...if you can get a starter feed formulated for ratites that would be best.

Lots of fresh greens. Emu does not live by pellets alone. See if you can get anything to grow naturally in their paddock. Note that eating wild stuff if good for their muscular development: stretch and snatch.
Emooz luuuurv dried and fresh fruit (except citrus)

Back
Top Bottom