What do I feed baby wellsummers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reddirt Okie, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Reddirt Okie

Reddirt Okie New Egg

Oct 17, 2015
    I am sure Im posting in the wrong place but my baby wellsummers are 5 weeks old. Ive been feeding them the medicated baby chick crumbles...What should I feed them now? What kind of grain could I feed them? any help would be appreciated.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Non medicated chick grower..is what you need now

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yep, they don't need anything but a good quality starter/grower food at this point. Provide them with a little grit and a few treats as well, but the key word is "few". Treats are just that - not part of their diet, not a supplement, just a treat. If you are interested in giving them a little grain there are some pretty good kinds of chicken scratch out there containing sunflower seeds, corn, milo, etc., and a handful of that a couple of times a week is all you should give them.

Some don't even advocate that, but I like to do it because with mine once they learned that the big blue bucket that says "Lowe's" on the outside contained something special all I had to do was open the lid and toss a bit in the run to get them back inside after foraging out on the lawn. Once they figured that out, I just walked toward the bucket and they were right where they needed to be, waiting! They also love kitchen scraps and hard boiled, chopped egg. MODERATION!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I agree with Blooie and Rod. Your baby Welsummers need a high protein feed. I would finish off the starter and then get some high protein all flock feed.

You chose wisely. Welsummers are splendid layers, and their eggs are huge! I adore the red egg color, too! Feed them well now and they will be rewarding you with eggs so big, it may be hard to close the box lid.

5. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oh, gee, thanks, azygous! Aren't you done finding ways to talk me into getting more chicks in the spring? First the genius idea of portal doors in the outdoor brooder, now such high praise for a breed I don't have yet......have mercy!

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Spring? Since when does Blooie wait until spring? She likes raising chicks in single digit temps!

7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Which, in Wyoming, is during the spring! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by