What do I feed breeder quail?

KenjiQuacker

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Issaquah Washington
Hello there! :)

I'm planning on breeding a pair of blue scale quail and possibly a pair of bobwhites. Do you have any brand or feed suggestions for breeder quail? I want to feed them the best diet I can. Any tips on breeding would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

I suggest this feed- https://www.chewy.com/kalmbach-feeds-all-natural-non-gmo-20/dp/244682
Is All Natural Non-GMO, and the brand has Organic options.
All natural feeds are a bit more money, but the way the farmers farm the corn and plants is better for the environment as well. Instead of using chemicals and killing the microbes in the soil, they nourish the soil, which then absorbs more carbon dioxide, etc, etc. Thats the short answer, haha, but I wont get into the whole thing.

I also know the feed I listed is a starter, but I prefer starter over an adult feed because of higher protein. I don't have any experinace with quail though, haha, so experts please chime in and let me know if this info is incorrect.
I have used starter with all my poultry with no problems as far as I know of.
Heres the link to all the poultry feeds they have available- https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/products/poultry

I suggest this feed- https://www.chewy.com/kalmbach-feeds-all-natural-non-gmo-20/dp/244682
Is All Natural Non-GMO, and the brand has Organic options.
All natural feeds are a bit more money, but the way the farmers farm the corn and plants is better for the environment as well. Instead of using chemicals and killing the microbes in the soil, they nourish the soil, which then absorbs more carbon dioxide, etc, etc. Thats the short answer, haha, but I wont get into the whole thing.

I also know the feed I listed is a starter, but I prefer starter over an adult feed because of higher protein. I don't have any experinace with quail though, haha, so experts please chime in and let me know if this info is incorrect.
I have used starter with all my poultry with no problems as far as I know of.
Heres the link to all the poultry feeds they have available- https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/products/poultry
Thanks! I haven't tried that type (obviously cause I haven't had any poultry yet lol), but it looks good. I'm ok with spending a little extra money for good quality feed.

I'll research if higher protein is ok for adult birds, but if it works for you it'll probably be alright. Thanks for the links btw!

Thanks! I haven't tried that type (obviously cause I haven't had any poultry yet lol), but it looks good. I'm ok with spending a little extra money for good quality feed.

I'll research if higher protein is ok for adult birds, but if it works for you it'll probably be alright. Thanks for the links btw!
I just like higher protein because I like to feed kitchen scraps, and vegetable ends. If you have a lower portion feed, then the protein is diluted my the table/vegtable/scraps, leading to a protein deficiency in my experience.
I you aren't feeding scraps, then you can look through that link, and see if they have an adult feed with less protein.
No problem! Glad I could help!

I just like higher protein because I like to feed kitchen scraps, and vegetable ends. If you have a lower portion feed, then the protein is diluted my the table/vegtable/scraps, leading to a protein deficiency in my experience.
I you aren't feeding scraps, then you can look through that link, and see if they have an adult feed with less protein.
No problem! Glad I could help!
I'll most likely be feeding them scraps, so the higher protein will be good. Just researched, everything I read said it was actually good to have 20-24% protein for breeder quail, so that should be perfect. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

thanks for sending that, I think I'll go with the higher protein though. Seems like a better option.
Agreed, that is actually the same feed I'm giving to may adult ducks and chickens. Just switched, I do notice they waste more with the crumble, (I would go with the pellet but its not Non-GMO.) So if possible, I suggest a treadle feeder with this feed, thats what I have for my chickens and theres no waste.

It can be more expensive though, the one I have was over $100, but there more durable, and save feed for sure.

Back
Top Bottom