1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do i feed broodies and chicks in the same cage??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2seth2, Mar 18, 2013.

1. 2seth2

2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    I have my brodies and chicks together what do I feed them chick feed, layer feeds (crumble), Flock raiser???? I have the layer feed in crumble.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I usually feed mine scratch feed mixed with chick crumble. I don't think the laying pellets would be very good for the chicks. But the mama hen usually picks out small pieces of food to give to her babies!

3. 2seth2

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    It is a laying crumble that is why i am unsure

4. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    I wouldn't feed the laying crumble. It probably is not good for the babies. If you dont have any scratch then the mom will be fine eating some chick food for a day or so until you get some.

5. 2seth2

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    Ok so do i have scratch seperqatly for mom or mixed in?

6. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Your choice really. I mix it in.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't have chickens but all of my broodies got flock raiser along side their offspring.

8. 2seth2

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    So can newborn chicks eat scratch?

9. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Not as a whole but it is a-okay for them to get some mixed in there chick food. It is just a little harder for them to break down.

10. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Do not feed the chicks layer food. It has extra calcium and is not good for the chicks.

I feed them all Grower when there's a broody with babies. In the crumble or even pellet form. She will break it up for the chicks. Grower also has extra protein in it for the growing babies and will help mom on her after hatch molt. Which mine usually go through.

Good luck, broody raising chicks is so much easier than the other way. She does all the work if she's a good mother. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by